Fensterfels namesake Fenster

Fensterfels namesake Fenster

The Normalweg to the top of Fensterfels passes through the namesake Fenster, or window. This route really makes you wonder whether you're climbing a sandstone tower or the ruins of a mini castle. If there was anything like this in the US I'm positive climbing it would be strictly forbidden! Südpfalz, Germany. June 2011.
SarahThompson
on Jul 1, 2011 11:42 pm
Image ID: 725966

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
phlipdascrip

phlipdascrip - Jul 22, 2011 9:41 am - Voted 10/10

Rapunzel, Rapunzel...

let down your ropes :D Amazing formation. Good spot for a coffee break! If this was in the US you probably wouldn't have a one-bolt anchor though...

SarahThompson

SarahThompson - Jul 22, 2011 10:23 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Rapunzel, Rapunzel...

Yeah, for sure! Safety standards seem a little lower than in the US but I'm sure that these single bolts gets used regularly and they seem to be working just fine.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Aug 4, 2011 5:50 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Rapunzel, Rapunzel...

Only just now saw this pic. Actually all the rocks on the ridge between Trifels and Scharfenburg where once part of the battlements of the three castles up there. On the top of Fensterfels (like Anebos) there are still the holes for the logs to the roof - there must have been buildings up there.

Safety standards - the PK - the association of climbers in the area - have fought a long battle against

a) overbolting
b) authorities willing to close off the rocks altogether

The result is a compromise, where placing of bolts is severely restricted. Also cleaning of routes or chopping of handholds. However, it depends on where you look. There are crags like Rödelstein in which seem on which stainless steel appears to have taken over from red sandstone and others where there are only an absolute minimum of bolts.

But I guess you'll find this anywhere in the world.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3