Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Garon Coriz

Garon Coriz - Mar 28, 2008 4:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Images

I'll post images later.

mauri pelto

mauri pelto - Mar 30, 2008 7:59 am - Hasn't voted

You must be kidding

Thanks for the direct and honest post, a good lesson. I did not know what would happen, but right from the start the route finding trouble at the base of the climbe was leaving me shaking my head. So now you know, what gets people in trouble is often the simplest things, such as the descent down a famous trail, not the tought climb to get there. Now take another trip, post a report, that will leave us smiling at the insight you have gained.

tanya

tanya - Mar 30, 2008 9:42 am - Voted 10/10

Love these kinds of stories!

Thanks!

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Mar 30, 2008 6:56 pm - Voted 10/10

thanks for the lesson

It's good to read this sort of thing from time to time, to keep us all from getting too complacent.

The cables should be pretty obvious, unless they are buried by snow. I'm guessing that since you didn't know the trail, you had never been to the top before. Now you know that the cables don't go all the way to the top. You may also know that they never really take the cables down, but do remove the supports, so the cables lie flat on the rock.

You CAN reach the valley, from Half Dome, with 2-way radios; they may be a better option (than cellphones) in Yellowstone. But there has to be someone on the other end, who will turn the radio on at a prescribed time; the batteries don't last all that long (at best, 15 hours), especially in cold.

tp

tp - Mar 31, 2008 12:55 am - Voted 10/10

Wow

Wow. That is wild.

David Rosenberg - Apr 1, 2008 12:44 am - Hasn't voted

Humbling Narrative

It was great to see a narrative such as this one. It is so important to be prepped for whatever you do out in the wilderness. I think we all have our "stupid" stories of where we were lazy regarding some preparation and dodged a bullet. This one however has got them all, I was cringing on every other sentence.

Garon Coriz

Garon Coriz - Apr 2, 2008 3:42 am - Hasn't voted

Re:

Thanks for the comments. I definitely learned my lessons from all the mistakes I made on this one like not having radios or not taking an extra jacket. I've turned away from mountains many times before when things got iffy like when a storm sets in or coming up to a route section I knew I didn't have the skills to do safely. Yet, it is the one time you don't follow your guiding mountain principles that can cost you. I lucked out for sure.

Diggler

Diggler - Apr 2, 2008 8:15 pm - Hasn't voted

I'm impressed...

That's quite a big bite to chew for a first trad climb (or even early, for your friend)! Major exposure & virtually no pro' make that climb one climbers much more experienced than you think hard about, run out 100' above the last bolt! :) That being said, great climb, eh? Always try to know where you started out, where you are, & where you're going (descents from technical climbs via easier routes typically merit gathering beta prior to descent :) Good luck on your (& your friend's) future climbs, be safe, & keep having fun!

SpiderSavage

SpiderSavage - Apr 3, 2008 12:27 am - Hasn't voted

You go girls

I applaud the spirit of adventure and go-for-its that made you do it. May you have many more big adventures like this. Often, what doesn't kill you makes you smarter.

rpc

rpc - Apr 4, 2008 6:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: You go girls

Spirit of adventure is always admirable but perhaps it should also be pointed out that the call out for help ("I don’t think we have enough clothing to last the night if it should get much colder" being the last thing said to a friend on a phone) was premature? No storm coming, no injury -- just a prospect of a cold night on a summit. I guess I’m trying to say that self-sufficiency is a big part of climbing IMHO. Still, the author’s honest account IS admirable. Glad they’re alright.

Joe White

Joe White - Apr 4, 2008 8:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: You go girls

Ditto!

vernon - Apr 5, 2008 10:51 am - Hasn't voted

pretty funny

did you get billed for the rescue?

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Return to 'First Multi-pitch' main page