Viewing: 1-20 of 48
tlogan

tlogan - Dec 20, 2004 2:24 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page Dean, looks like a cool area.

Dean

Dean - Dec 20, 2004 10:26 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks Tim for your vote. It is an interesting area, one I had looked at many times but never was aware enough of what I was looking at. Now I need to go back and get some pictures in good weather.

Klenke

Klenke - Dec 20, 2004 2:59 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I tell you flat out, there must be 100 Flat Top mountains in the world.

Dean

Dean - Dec 20, 2004 10:29 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Yup, that's why I put the (UT) in, to separate this "Flat Top" out from the tons of other ones. It really isn't very flat up there, and I'm flat telling you the flat out truth. Any peak with a mailbox for a register is kinda cool. Thanks for your vote and Merry Christmast. How many peaks are in your viewscope for 2005?

Have a great year.

Klenke

Klenke - Dec 20, 2004 2:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I just found out about Mt. Peale and it's >6,000P!



As you may know, Washington has its very own summit with a mailbox at the top: Mailbox Peak.

Dean

Dean - Dec 20, 2004 3:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I particularly like the ladder and fire hydrant on our own mailbox peak. Wheeler Peak in Nevada also has a mailbox for its register.



Mt. Peale is on my summer viewscope

cmc56789

cmc56789 - Dec 20, 2004 3:22 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

nice page!!

Dean

Dean - Dec 20, 2004 10:30 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you for your vote, it is appreciated. Take care.

Dean

Dean - Dec 20, 2004 10:09 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for being the first to vote on this new page. Merry Christmas to you and yours and have a great 2005.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Dec 20, 2004 10:53 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page...I know you will probably add a route since this is under construction.



One comment though. The link to the map with mountains of 5,000' of prominence is too small to read. That's too bad, cause that map looks interesting. Anyway to blow it up so anyone clicking on the link can read it? I know you want to share it, but for now the link is a waste. Thanks.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Dec 20, 2004 11:26 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I only wish I knew who Rodney Dangerfield is (or was). I have never thought about the prominence of mountains before I joined SP. You never stop to learn. Good!!



BTW: The page (so far) is excellent and will only get better, I know.

Scott

Scott - Dec 20, 2004 12:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good page.

Dean

Dean - Dec 20, 2004 3:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you Scott. It was interesting to read your Summit Log entry and know that you have also done this one. Would you happen to have any pics of this one? I get to Orem a lot since I have a daughter who lives there and two sons at BYU so I'll have a chance to go back and get some overall pics of the peak but it'll be awhile before I can get back to summit it again.



As always, thank you for your comments and vote.

Scott

Scott - Dec 20, 2004 4:16 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Unfortunately, I don't believe I have any photos. This is too bad, because the east side of the mountain is the most scenic, and the peaks were all frosted in snow. Despite all the snow, May 12, 1996 was a record warm day with 92 recorded in SLC. That made the snow very soft and we should have brought snowshoes. Normally there is a gate in West Canyon, but its not locked until summer grazing season. Near the beginning of the road to West Canyon, you cross a small corner of Camp Williams and there is a warning sign, but many people, including the ranchers pass through anyway, and it doesn't seem to be a problem.



Too bad about the Halls Basin problem. I believe the route is marked on the page in the Utah Mountaineering Guide, so I'll email the author and warn him to take it out of the book.

MrWasatch

MrWasatch - Dec 20, 2004 1:57 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page and a great addition to the Utah list... I'd love to see a route added since I know little about how to get to or climb this peak.

Dean

Dean - Dec 20, 2004 4:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Hi and thank you for the vote and comments. I've added the only legal route that you should use to do this one. This one was a real sleeper, I had no clue that the Oquirrh range had much of anything but unfortunately a good portion of it is in private hands.

MrWasatch

MrWasatch - Dec 20, 2004 5:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Excellent... I hadn't realized at the time of my initial post that most of the write up was on the front page. Having done most of the Wasatch stuff, this sounds like one I'd like to take a shot at (and maybe Lowe Peak from the north) one of these days.

Dean

Dean - Dec 20, 2004 4:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks Dennis. I think I'll probably always remember this mtn thanks to the run in with the landowner. It was neat to do this one with my son.

Dennis Poulin

Dennis Poulin - Dec 20, 2004 6:36 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I'm still lost on SP. How can you see who has voted on your pictures?

Joseph Bullough

Joseph Bullough - Dec 20, 2004 7:50 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Excellent page. Also appreciate the history lesson. Good work....

Viewing: 1-20 of 48
Return to 'Flat Top Mountain (UT)' main page