Flat Top Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 25
12
BKiser90

BKiser90 - Jun 28, 2021 5:07 pm Date Climbed: Jun 28, 2021

Pride of the Flat Tops  Sucess!

Hiked Flat Top after the Rio Blanco COHP. Started from TH at 11:00 am. Summited at 1:00 pm. Down by 3. Lots of clouds but nothing materialized. Great views of Sawatch and Elks.

jake_the_snake

jake_the_snake - Apr 3, 2021 2:37 pm Date Climbed: Mar 30, 2021

Flat Top Ski  Sucess!

Woohoo

McCannster

McCannster - Jul 20, 2020 1:13 pm Date Climbed: Jul 18, 2020

First time here, will return  Sucess!

Beautiful area, crowded trailhead (due to Devils Causeway). Really nice run, easy mellow hike. Views are great.

rockymountaindiva

rockymountaindiva - Jul 29, 2018 3:47 pm Date Climbed: Jun 27, 2018

Stillwater standard route  Sucess!

Flat Tops area is always gorgeous and abundant in mosquitos but was still surprised that they followed to the top of this peak!

trexkerry - Dec 31, 2017 8:57 pm Date Climbed: Jul 18, 2017

Outstanding  Sucess!

Trail to summit. Fantastic hike.

utahjimk

utahjimk - Jul 29, 2017 7:35 pm Date Climbed: Jul 26, 2017

striking scenery!  Sucess!

standard route as described - starting at campsite in Horseshoe campground. Didn't get the distant views due to cloud/fog - and I was driven off summit by wind-driven rain. But the sky cleared as I descended and showed peak floral display!

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Jul 12, 2015 10:47 pm Date Climbed: Jul 11, 2015

Standard from Stillwater Reservoir  Sucess!

The scenery here is absolutely amazing and the wildflowers were going bonkers. Indeed, the mosquitoes here are positively insane, too. I can't believe it took me so long to visit the Flat Tops! Incredible range. Mikey and I joined Aaron & Ellen. Logan, Gabby & Jackson enjoyed the hike, too!

Brian Kalet

Brian Kalet - Sep 2, 2014 4:46 pm Date Climbed: Aug 31, 2014

7 Peaks  Sucess!

With 11085, 10086, 9740, 9322, Peterson Ridge & 7825.

Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - Aug 17, 2014 11:15 pm Date Climbed: Aug 16, 2014

Super enjoyable  Sucess!

With Erin and Sirius.

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Jun 3, 2012 7:23 pm Date Climbed: Jun 3, 2012

Stillwater Res - Standard  Sucess!

Great to finally get up this one, I have been wanting to visit the Flat Tops proper for years and this was a great way to do it! The trail had spotty snow and mud, but the route was 99% dry above treeline. I also added Derby Peak, which added a lot actually, almost 6 more miles and 1500 vertical. That one is well guarded by cliffs but I found a steep class 2+ gully weakness above a tarn above Hooper Lake.

edevart

edevart - Sep 14, 2011 10:47 pm Date Climbed: Sep 10, 2011

Hunting Season  Sucess!

One of the busier Flat Tops trailheads, especially during hunting season. But, once on the long mellow ridge we escaped most of that. Fun and quick.

JohnnyCO

JohnnyCO - Feb 20, 2011 6:02 pm

From Stillwater  Sucess!

My buddy Drew and I climb this one summer afternoon. Great storm watching. Just beautiful. Good place to get away from the crowds and numerous high alpine fishing lakes!!

Dean

Dean - Aug 15, 2009 8:04 pm Date Climbed: Aug 14, 2009

Up from Stillwater res..  Sucess!

Racing the weather, I hit the summit at the same time as a downpour so I didn't linger. A touch and go. I hurried both ways and was glad I packed my raingear. Reminded me of Washington/Oregon weather. The weather got worse and yet let up & was ok on the steep trail section below the pass going down. 2 1/2 hrs to the summit (which for me is fast) because I was afraid of thunderstorm activity and that mountain is no place to get caught. About 1 hr 40 min down. Due to the weather, I elected to forego my planned hike to the Rio Blanco county highpoint the next day and we headed for home. Don't miss Penny's Diner in Yampa, great food.

belexes

belexes - Jul 20, 2009 2:19 pm Date Climbed: Jul 19, 2009

Stillwater Trailhead/North Derby Trail  Sucess!

Meetup.com trip. We hiked the North Derby Trail from Stillwater Reservoir to the pass, then hiked along the ridge to the top. There were mosquitoes out the (expletive) yin-yang out there. Good thing I brought insect repellent.
While on the ridge, two hikers in our group decided to head down to Hooper Lake to have a swim, so Dave and myself went to the summit. There were several other hikers going for the summit, which suprised me since there's no official trail to Flat Top Mtn. Interesting, rocky summit.
I need to come back to the Flat Tops sometime. I had heard great things about this place, and I was not disappointed at all.

Larry V

Larry V - Jul 19, 2009 10:00 am

Re: Stillwater Reservoir

You made great time! Three hours round trip, in the dark.

Larry V

Larry V - Jul 19, 2009 9:56 am Date Climbed: Jul 1, 2009

Orno and Flat Top in one rainy day  Sucess!

It rained most of the day, while I climbed Orno Peak. Started up Flat Top Mountain from Stillwater Reservoir at 6 pm, and the rain resumed. Four hours, constant light rain, cold, descent after sundown, last hour in total darkness, with mud puddles all over the place. But... mission accomplished.

gbrady

gbrady - Dec 7, 2008 7:24 pm Date Climbed: Aug 14, 1979

Must climb in RMNP

Beautiful peak.

kavak

kavak - Sep 4, 2008 10:02 am Date Climbed: Jul 1, 2000

From Stillwater Reservoir  Sucess!

Hiked this one with my youngest son. The eastern escarpment is a nice surprise from the relatively flat approach from the west.

hasue

hasue - Jul 29, 2008 2:51 pm

high spot  Sucess!

had to climb the highest spot in the Flat Tops! cool pseudomorph calcite/quartz crystal clusters on the way to the top from the saddle.

grandwazoo

grandwazoo - Aug 12, 2007 11:01 am Date Climbed: Aug 11, 2007

Stillwater Reservoir  Sucess!

Dale Millsap and I and just finished Black Mountain and then drove to the Stillwater TH. Left the TH around 6:45 PM and hit the summit at 8:30 pm. We needed to hurry with day light running out. By the time we were back at the saddle the head lamps had to come out. We made it back to the TH at 9:45 pm. Had a long day since we had just started our two peak day at 3:30 pm.

Viewing: 1-20 of 25
12
Return to 'Flat Top Mountain' main page