Flora of Mount Charleston

Flora of Mount Charleston

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Flora, Informational, Scenery

Flora of Mount Charleston, Nevada

 

Mount Charleston Wilderness is located within the Spring Mountains near Las Vegas, Nevada. The high elevations of mountains and canyons provide a relief from the heat of the Mojave Desert in summertime. The absence of flat terrain and the clean air make hiking here very enjoyable and rewarding.

Bristlecone Pines
Bristlecone Pines at sunset

It is a forested oasis that is most known for its 18,000 acres of majestic Bristlecone Pines.

The oldest Bristlecone Pine is called a Raintree and it is estimated to be about 3000 years old. Other trees such as Limber Pines, Ponderosa Pines, White Firs, Quaking Aspens, Cedar Trees, and Mountain Mahogany are abundant also. Various shrubs, herbs and wildflowers add to the beauty of the area.

Lots of plants are endemic, but only about 30 of those endemic species have been named so far. Many others are still awaiting their names and their admirers.

This album is dedicated to all plants of Mount Charleston, Nevada.
Feel free to add your photos.

 

External Links

James L. Boone's guide to Vegetation around Las Vegas

My slideshow of summer blossoms:
Wildflowers of Mount Charleston in 2005




Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
K9H2OBearer

K9H2OBearer - Jul 7, 2012 11:56 am - Hasn't voted

Lovely & Informative

Thank you for posting this album. It is both lovely and informative. Nice to compare to my photos to figure out what's what.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.