Florence Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Mar 15, 2002 8:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good info.

You might add some notes on whether there is a trail to the summit, class 2 climbing, or technical climbing involved. I saw you carrying a rope in one photo, but I thought this was a walk up - apparently you went the hard way! :)

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Mar 16, 2002 10:27 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Very nice page.

bigwally

bigwally - Dec 25, 2002 3:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great photos and a lot of information on this page.....makes me hungry for the Sierras !!!! Thank you for alll of your time and effort !!!!

leecrouch - Nov 22, 2008 12:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Weather or not

Helpful. There's nothing higher to the south, as the Sierra Nevada begins to peter out.
Near the bottom of your report you mention that the temperatures around Florence Peak can be in the 90's. Depending on what you mean by "around", I would have to take exception. Even if it were 90 way back at the trailhead (7800 ft),a simple calculation using the adiabatic heating rate of 4 degrees per 1,000 feet would mean that the temperature in the San Joaquin Valley would be approx 120 degrees, highly unlikely and probably a record. While it might have felt like 90 doing that god-awful climb in full sun, tempertures in the Mineral King Valley typically max out in the low to mid-70's. It might hit 80 but even that would be extremely rare.

Cedar

Cedar - Feb 7, 2010 1:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Weather or not

Actually, I find Visalia up to 115-118 for a few days each year around July 4th. That said, I've seen it up to 120 but I can say it gets quite close. As for Mineral King though...90 does seem a bit too high. 80 would be more realistic.

kmadaus - Sep 30, 2010 10:57 pm - Voted 4/10

Routes?

It would be cool to see some route descriptions. Other than that, great info. But the route descriptions are the most important part. At least put the basic standard route up. Just a suggestion. Thanks for everything else you put into this page.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Florence Peak' main page