Forest Trail 58

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.60140°N / 105.343°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

Once you reach the radio tower facility, you will see a sign marking the start of Forest Trail 58. This is also known as the Summit Trail. At this point, you are only one mile and 22' below Palko Peak. However, you will have to climb almost 300' to get there because there are two descents between you and Palko Peak.

Start heading down the trail as it initially switchbacks down the slope. You’ll descend almost 200’ during this stretch. Descend to a saddle, where the trail becomes faint. It’s overgrown, and receives little foot traffic. Once you reach the saddle, you will have to climb about 100' back up over a small hill, then descend back down the east side of it. You will cross a few grassy meadows en route. Once you reach the second saddle, start climbing up the trail towards Palko Peak. At some point, you will leave the trail, turn left, and climb a short distance up to the sign at the summit, where there are no views.


Hiking Distance: 2 miles round trip from the radio towers; 20 miles round trip from Capitan Gap.
Elevation Gain: 600' from the radio towers; 3,700' from Capitan Gap.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.