Forest Trails 192 and 198

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.28200°N / 110.821°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the parking spot at about 4,750’, start walking up Forest Trail 192. A short distance later, you will reach a trail sign that indicates two miles to Forest Trail 198. Follow the uneventful trail as it climbs up the base of Pinal Peak. Just before you reach the trail junction with Forest Trail 198, you will have to descend slightly into Icehouse Canyon. Once you reach the trail junction, you will have two choices. You can go left on Forest Trail 192 to the Sixshooter Trail 197, or you can go right on Forest Trail 198. I turned left, but I later found out that Trail 198 is the best way up. However, both routes eventually converge at the same spot on Forest Road 651.

Head up Trail 198 as it climbs up Icehouse Canyon. After two miles, you will reach Forest Road 651. Turn left, and walk up the road about 1½ miles to the summit of Pinal Peak. There are a few road signs along the way to guide you. The true highpoint is on the left as you approach the top. It’s crowded with radio towers. Most people are content just to drive to the top using Forest Road 651.


Hiking Distance: About 13 miles round trip.
Elevation Gain: About 3,200’.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.