Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 40.96200°N / 112.215°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 3, 2006
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring

Frary Peak II

Frary Peak, Antelope Island, Utah
May 3, 2006 Elevation: 6596’

Hardy called me the day before wanting to give Frary Peak another try. Unfortunately, I could no t make it at the time he wanted to leave, so I told him I would head up and maybe meet him on the trail.
First attempt


I arrived at the trailhead at 09:30 and started up the trail weaving amid scrub brush and rocks. Shortly after 10:00, I met up with Hardy. He was on his way down from the peak. He retrieved the WJTB and left a Cach-u-nut in its place. Before we parted, I asked him how much further it was to the peak. He told me he has been coming down for about a half hour, so I would have just over an hour to the top.
Buffalo Herd


Following the trail, there was a herd of bison of about 50 head on the meadow below the trail. I had to stop and get my binoculars out and enjoy the sight. After a few inspiring minutes, I started back on the trail, looking for some antelope or mountain sheep that Hardy said he saw.

On top
I reached the summit just after 11:00 It took me a minute to find the geocache that is just down from the peak, and as I was signing the logbook it started to rain.

With the dark cloud rolling in, I wanted to get off the mountain as soon as I could. The mountain is the highest thing for miles around and I didn’t want to see what its like to get struck by lightning.

While I was on my way down, Hardy called me to see if I make to the cache and the peak yet. He told me to give him a call when I get back down.
Scenery


After taking some pictures of the vista, I headed back down. When I was nearly to the trailhead, I came around the trail to some rocks. There was a large bull bison laying in my way. I took some pictures and backed away and yelled at him. He stood up and didn’t move. I threw some rocks at him, and he just shook the rain off his head. Its funny how I thought that maybe something is 10 times my size could be easily scared away. I took some pictures for my story telling.
Gaurdian of the Trail


I ended up backtracking to a little ridge to see if there were any more bison on the trail ahead. I could not see any, so I started to go around the bison guarding the trail.
Scenery 2
[

When I reached the trail again, I kept looking back just to see if I was being followed. When I reached my car, I called Hardy. He told me that he had a run in with the same bull not even 15 minutes after we parted. Was this old bull there when I went up and didn’t even notice???? I will have to pay more attention to my surroundings or it could be the end of me.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Dean

Dean - Feb 6, 2007 5:39 pm - Voted 10/10

ah yes, bison...

Three of us had to abort our summit effort when stopped about 1/3rd mile (GPS) from the summit when we encountered a large bull bison who didn't want to share the area with us. He bluff charged the other two with me and when we started trying to go above him, he headed our way. We finally just gave up and headed back down so I get to do my own Frary II next time. Nice report.

KirtDavis

KirtDavis - Feb 6, 2007 6:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: ah yes, bison...

When you go again, let me know, I am not very far from the island. I would enjoy another summiting with you!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.