From FS 270

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.84210°N / 105.6323°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Toward the saddle NE of UN 9900Toward the saddle NE of UN 9900

This is a mostly mellow route with a pleasant finish to a rocky summit. The route gently ascends through high prairie to the foot of the peak, where the elevation gain picks up the pace and the going briefly gets a bit steeper.

Roundtrip Distance: 2.5 miles
Elevation Gain: 280 feet
YDS Rating: Class 2

Getting There

Deep snow, eastern slopeDeep snow, eastern slope
Neat conglomerate-type rockNeat conglomerate-type rock

From Hartsel, Colorado, near the intersection of US Hwy 24 and CO Hwy 9

• Follow CO Hwy 9 south for approximately 15 miles.
• Turn left / northeast on Park County Road 116.
• Follow CO Rd 116 about 1 mile northeast to the turnoff for Forest Service Road 270.
• Turn right on FS 270 and park.

Route Description

From FS 270_Route Map

From winter parking at the intersection of CO Rd 116 and FS 270.

• Head out south-southeast across the high prairie on gentle terrain. You may follow an old road bed (I visited in snow season and only the vaguest hint of a roadbed was apparent.)
• Continue a little under a mile to a drainage.
• Continue across the drainage for about another ¼ mile to the saddle area east of the peak.
• From here, turn sharply southwest; the route begins more rapidly gaining elevation.
• From the saddle area, climb for less than ½ mile to the rocky summit, to the far south of the summit ridge.

Essential Gear

• WINTER - Flotation (snowshoes would be ideal given that much of the route travels steep, densely-timbered slopes).
• Trail Map (Either the USGS Castle Rock Gulch quad or a custom map will be necessary)
• Colorado Gazetteer or similar roadmap illustrating minor/dirt roads.
• Compass or GPS
• Water and snacks
• WINTER - Insulated, water-proof boots
• First aid kit


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

UN 9900Routes