From Pacific Valley TH

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.49696°N / 119.85174°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The most logical trailhead for Peep Sight Peak, is the Pacific Valley trailhead, which is located just a mile east of Pacific Grade Summit, 10 miles east of Bear Valley. Several options are available to reach the summit: heading up Pacific Valley into Marshall Canyon and obtaining the top via that approach (4.5 miles one way, 2000 feet of gain); climbing Lookout Mountain via its NW Ridge, then continuing over Willow Flat to Peep Sight (3.5 miles one way, 2500 feet of gain). Both of these routes can be combined to make a loop, or one can also bag Bull Run and Henry Peaks.

Getting There

Follow directions on the main page to the Pacific Valley campground/TH turnoff. The parking area is located .6 miles from Hwy 4 along a gravel road. There are toilets are the TH as well as ample parking and camp sites.

Route Description

This is the description for hiking first over Lookout Peak, then on to Peep Sight.

This route is fairly straight forward. Just be sure you have an OK sense of direction and a map. From the parking area, head cross country to the east side of the valley and make your way up the hillside. This hill is brushy and steep in some places, just follow the path of least resistance. You may encounter a little class 3 terrain here. Keep climbing up to the ridge. Once you reach the ridge, continue southeast on it, occasionally climbing over mellow granite slabs. Soon Lookout Peak will come into view. Lookout is composed not of granite, but more of a much darker, volcanic rock. The ridge will bend east as it heads up to Lookout. From Lookout, Peep Sight is easily visible to the southeast. Descend Lookout's south slope and onto Willow Flat, an undulating flat about 1 mile long at 9000 feet. From here it is just a matter of walking straight towards the summit, which is always visible. The final push up to the summit is rather loose and steep, but only ascends about 300 vertical feet. Once at the summit, you may decide to continue to Henry and Bull Run, descend via Marshall Canyon, or re trace your steps.

Essential Gear

Just good hiking boots. Snowshoes will come in handy if you are hiking in springtime, just after Hwy 4 has opened. Chances are there will be still a good amount of snow up higher if you are heading out here within the next few weeks that Hwy 4 is opened.

External Links

Bob Burd's trip report
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.