from Rhêmes St.Georges to Mont Paillasse

from Rhêmes St.Georges to Mont Paillasse

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.64490°N / 7.18280°E
Additional Information Route Type: hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: E
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The church of Rhêmes Saint GeorgesThe church of Rhêmes Saint Georges
As specified in the Getting there section of the Mont Paillasse page, you must get the village of Rhêmes Saint Georges: from the main road turn left and quickly you will arrive at the hamlet of Coveyrand, then park in the proximity of the church.

Route Description

 photo_id=98154

Hand-made map of the route to Mont Paillasse (2414m)


There are different possibilities of routes all directed to the hamlet of Champroménty (1813 m), intermediate point along the pathway, placed in a panoramic position
I suggest to follow the unpaved road climbing gently through the wood: taking the many shortcuts, you can avoid most of the hairpin bends. Through the shadowy forest you will arrive at Champromènty
.
 photo_id=95278  photo_id=95281
Leaving out on the left a stepped path that gets Mont Blanc from the north , follow the unpaved road (that practically becomes a footpath) and by two long traverses in the wood of larches you will arrive at the pleasant Col du Mont Blanc (2171 m), in front of the opposite ridge between Valsavarenche and Val di Cogne.
 photo_id=95287  photo_id=95511
Going straight, in few minutes you are on the top of Mont Blanc (2205 m), passing near the P.N.G.P. hut.
 photo_id=95512  photo_id=95509
Then, in order to go towards the top of Mont Paillasse, you must come back to Col du Mont Blanc.
 photo_id=95508
Mont Paillasse (2414m) and Pointe Chamoussiere (2942m) from Col du Mont Blanc (2171m)
From Col du Mont Blanc, go southwards firstly along the ridge, then you'll meet a footpath running slightly along the Val di Rhêmes side: the easy ascent ends at the summit of Mont Paillasse (2414 m), where a cross is placed.
 photo_id=95517  photo_id=95516

Essential Gear

Usual hiking gear is sufficient .

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.