From Varengeh Rood

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.10072°N / 51.58527°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

Directions to Varengeh Rood Village:
From downtown Tehran drive the Tehran-Karaj Freeway 40 Km west to the town of Karaj and take the Chalus Road exit. Drive the Chalus Road up the mountains roughly 70 Km till the junction of the road that goes to Dizin Ski Area (2250 m). Turn onto this road and follow it a few Km till you see a side road on the left that goes to Varengeh Rood Village (2325 m). Turn onto this road and follow it a few Km till the end of it at the village (2450 m).

Route Description

Please refer to the Detailed Map of Central Alborz for the below discussion. Having the 1:50 000 maps (See the “Maps” section of Introduction to Central Alborz) can add much more detail. You will need Sheet “6262 II Gajereh” for Varengeh Rood Village and much of the valley and Sheet “6362 III Uz” for the Narges Peaks.


All distances are per my GPS

Place…………….Elevation…………….Distance

Varengeh Rood
Village…………..2450 m……………….Zero

Junction
Of the
Stream to
Kholeno Lake…..3100 m……………….16.5 Km

Junction
Of the
Stream to
Meeshchal……..3300 m…………………2.5 Km

Saddle………….4050 m………………….4.5 Km

Narges………….4206 m………………….1.5 Km

Total……………………………………….25 Km

Get on the trail at the north end of the Varengeh Rood Village (2450 m). This trail soon crosses (via a bridge) to the northwestern side of the River (The river is too large to cross on foot). You will have to follow the river-side trail 16.5 Km to reach the junction of the branch that goes to Kholeno Lake. The trail is, for the most part, fairly well-established. We did, however, lose it at times. We were in the area in mid June. Avalanche remains covered the river frequently and provided convenient ways of crossing the river. Later in the season, when the snow has melted away, crossing the river will become a problem.

16.5 Km after Varengeh Rood Village, at an elevation of 3100 m, you will reach a major split in the river. Right goes to Kholeno Lake. Take the left branch and stay on the left (north) side of a stream where you will find a faint trail and follow the stream upstream. Be ware that in many place the trail fades away and the slopes above the stream become steep and slippery, so “following the stream” may not be as easy as it sounds.

At 3250 m you will reach a fairly large and flat area by the stream that is ideal for setting up base camp. A little after base camp at 3300 m, you will reach another major split in the stream. Right goes toward Meeshchal Peak.
From Varengeh RoodUpper Valley

Stay left and follow the stream up to the very end of it just below the 4050 m saddle between Paloon Gardan to the south and Narges Peak to the north. You can either start going up the gentle southern slopes of Narges or go to the mentioned saddle and follow the ridgetop to the summit of Narges.
South Slopes Main PeakSummit

Essential Gear

In summer, only camping equipment.

External Links

Add External Links text here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.