Travnik from Vrsic (SE slopes)

Travnik from Vrsic (SE slopes)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.42730°N / 13.71590°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach & Intro

You reach Vršič pass by car or bus.

There goes an old path from the times between World War I and World War II. It was marked with yellow spots, which are nowadays mostly decaded and also the path is almost completely lost in the terrain. Still, this approach is even a bit less demanding (T3) than the main ridge variant. Equipment: only good shoes and poles. From Vršič pass it's 3 h 30 min to the top.

Route Description

Travnik and its surroundings....
From Vršič pass we first ascend on the notch in Grebenc ridge (Vratca, 1983 m), and then continue a little more up towards Mala Mojstrovka. On the place where for the first time easy passage from the ridge into the valley between Mala and Velika Mojstrovka is possible, we deter left and descend a little. In the valley, you may find old, washed out yellow marks on some rocks, but otherwise head towards the soutwest by a distinct, rocky terrace. Mostly you hold the altitude of some 2050-2150 m. The first small obstacle on the way is the ridge of Suhi vrh, 2109 m. The route leads on the notch right (north) of it. Then we continue crossing gravel fields and again ascend by a ravine the ridge, descending from Zadnja Mojstrovka. The next ravine brings us already on the ridge of Travnik. There we turn right and start ascending by the edge of the ridge. There are no major difficulties. On some places we can even follow a weak trail. Higher we detour a rocky bump by the left and then only continue to the top.

Travnik south slopes can be also accessed from SW, from the small hut, named Zavetisce pod Špičkom, 2064 m.

For a descent I don't know how would it be to find a descent down (towards south) to the marked path, which crosses the whole Dnina slopes and finally comes horizontally on Vrsic pass. Many years ago I found one hunters trail, but not south of Travnik, but more towards east, somewhere south of Zadnja Mojstrovka. Would appreciate any information!

Rating the Route (by hiking standards)

0. General. From 1611 m to 2379 m, exposition SE. First screes, then rocky and grassy landscape. From Mojstrovka S ridge on, there's no good path, perhaps some very rare marks. Normal hiking equipment (good shoes and poles), no water on the route.

1. Effort. 900m, 3 h 30 min,

2. Power. 2 - easy (mainly walking, even if steep),

3. Psyche. 2 - easy,

4. Orientation. 4 - hard (take a good map).

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

TravnikRoutes