Fuente Dé-Collado Canalona (Normal)

Fuente Dé-Collado Canalona (Normal)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.16545°N / 4.80751°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Difficulty: F (Fácil, Easy)
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the main page to approach to Fuente Dé and the cable

NOTE: a short description of the normal route is in the main page but I consider that some indications are a little confused in the route nowadays (september 2005) and it's necessary an explanation (the paint of the route of Horcados Rojos / Peña Vieja is poor, the turn of direction it's difficult to read, only a few of marks of paint in the PR...)

Route Description

From the cable (1835m) we take the track in north direction. This is a wide track with use for jeeps to the nearest Hotel de Aliva and for the former mines. The track go to the valley of Horcadina de Covarrones (1925m, 15-20 min) with a signal of bifurcation. We turn to left side (right side is indicated as hotel de Aliva and left as Col de horcados rojos) for the same itinerary of a lot of people that go to popular col of Horcados rojos (with marvelous view of Naranjo de Bulnes). We leave the track in the point that turn to left side (signaled with cairns) in the point called "La Vueltona". We follow the evident path in the stones under Peña Vieja and the zig-zag among the rocks to reach the bifurcation at 2220m (1h). This is the key of the route and a rock with yellow paint signaled Horcados Rojos (right) and Peña Vieja (left) but the paint almost it has disappeared totally and would be necessary a sign on the part of the responsible for the national park.
This is the route with a path of stones to reach the entry of upper side across the Col of Canalona (2444m, 1h40min) among rocks.
In this col between the Picos de Sta Ana and Torre de Coteros Rojos we see finally the north face of Peña Vieja. The path is visible in right side bordering the T.Coteros Rojos to reach the bottom of the last ramp to the summit. This is the most complicated part with a simple zig-zag among some free stones and rock (not advisable in bad weathers conditions with wet rock) with a hard slope but it's short to reach finally the narrow summit in the little upper ridge (2619m, 2h 40min).

Essential Gear

Nothing special, but the water is rare in this rocks and it's necesary to take in summer days.
A map is very necesary for the orientation of the route with some changes of direction.
In winter is complicated and it's necessary the use of crampons and ice-axe. The rules of park don't permit the climb between november and june for the risk of avalanchs in this hard ramps but the conditions of snow are very changings.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.