Fuji-san Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 75

KLAYMAN - Mar 16, 2024 5:14 am Date Climbed: Mar 7, 2024

Winter climbing  Sucess!

in a group of 7 people

Candace66

Candace66 - Jan 13, 2019 1:51 pm Date Climbed: Aug 17, 2008

Day hike from Station Five  Sucess!

Day hike from Station Five

il.rocciatore

il.rocciatore - Oct 2, 2018 2:28 am

Route Climbed: Yoshida Trail Date Climbed: september 2018  Sucess!

Climbed the Yoshida Trail in 1 day from Fuji-Subaru Line 5th station. Hiked along the complete crater rim to Kengamine Peak. Official climbing season was already over, but that was rather a blessing :-) Good weather, a bit windy on the summit.

chaselanphear - Sep 26, 2018 8:17 pm Date Climbed: Jul 22, 2018

Mount Fuji  Sucess!

Japan's Highest Peak

markhadland@gmail.com

markhadland@gmail.com - Jul 3, 2018 4:04 pm Date Climbed: Jul 3, 1999

Fuji-San   Sucess!

Climb up Mount Fuji to prepare for a trip in the Bernese Oberland

wyatt_meyers

wyatt_meyers - Oct 24, 2017 1:54 pm Date Climbed: Jul 3, 2017

Beautiful sunrise hike!  Sucess!

Experience of a lifetime to say the least. Started hike around 10 and was at the last station (8th?) by 1245. Didn't sleep just bought the cheapest menu item until they kicked me to the cold. Sunrise was incredible, most people were late. Try being up 30-45 before actual sunrise as the elevation and ocean makes the sunrise start way earlier than actual sunrise time. I had to run to the top from the last station so I wouldn't miss a second of it.

GlennD

GlennD - Jul 14, 2017 8:21 pm Date Climbed: Jul 15, 2017

Gotemba Route  Sucess!

Night hike of Gotemba. Perfect conditions. Left a bit too early, had to wait at summit for sunrise. Sand route on way down is either not marked or has do not enter sign at it's highest point. Recommend asking but staff about where tontine it to avoid going down all the switchbacks.

bruno baschung

bruno baschung - Aug 6, 2016 9:08 am Date Climbed: Jul 26, 2016

fujiyosida route  Sucess!

Nice ascent do Fuji (after an unsucessful previous attempt late august 2015 due to heavy rain and winds). this time weather was +/- acceptable. Going very slowly in 4h up to 9th station (3418m) then next morning to the top reached at 4.40 in just 2h20. The hike is nice and technically very easy. 645.4 hpa on the top.

beautiful view on crater from Kengamine (highest point), still some snow Inside the crater.

Bruno baschung

bobbyfm

bobbyfm - Jul 26, 2016 8:02 am Date Climbed: Jul 13, 2016

Yoshida trail  Sucess!

An easy hike. Me and my friends reached the summit on the 12th but the weather was bad - rainy and foggy and we decided to sleep in one of the huts and go to the highest point on next morning.

BLong

BLong - Aug 2, 2015 11:36 pm Date Climbed: Jul 13, 2015

Night climb  Sucess!

I had a blast climbing Fuji through the night: calm and peaceful, without the hordes of the day, Milky Way ablaze. I was hoping to climb slowly and nap outside in order to summit at sunrise, but it was too cold out to bivy so I broke down and spent the $55 to sleep at the 8th station for a few hours.

Hiker4life

Hiker4life - Feb 28, 2015 9:12 pm Date Climbed: Aug 25, 2009

Fuji freeway  Sucess!

I started hike from the 5th station at 5 PM and arrived at the 8.5 station at 8 PM. After about 2 hours of sleep I joined the hordes on the remaining hike to the summit at 3:30 AM. It was only about an hour to the summit where hundreds of people (mostly Japanese) gathered for the sunrise. Clouds obscured most of the views unfortunately. I made the short walk over to the true summit and was back down at the trailhead by 9 AM.

andre hangaard

andre hangaard - Feb 10, 2015 3:39 pm Date Climbed: Jun 25, 2014

Preseason climb  Sucess!

Me and my girlfriend Åsa wanted to experience a quiet Mount Fuji far away from the crowds we had heard of. Therefore we climbed it before the season started. For a proper acclimatization we camped two nights on the mountain. We started out from the town of Fujisan and took a taxi to the Yoshida trailhead. After a night in the lush Yoshida forrest, close to the 5th. station, we continued up until above the 9th station at around 3.500m where we pitched our tent on a little outcrop beside the trail. From there it was a short hike up to the summit and we enjoyed a beautiful sunrise all alone on the mountain. Although there was lots of snow and some part of the trail was icy. The true summit, Kengamine, was hidden in thick fog but we finally found it when walking around the crater ridge. It was marvellous when suddenly the fog lifted and we were blessed with sun and blue skies.
One note for off-season climbers though: Be sure to bring enough water as all huts are closed.

HawkeyeHuff

HawkeyeHuff - Jan 26, 2015 4:32 am Date Climbed: Aug 26, 2001

Mt Fuji  Sucess!

Met my friend Jim Lundgren and his daughter Ashley from Moscow, Idaho to hike up Fuji. We arrived at the mountain about 7pm on Saturday, August 25th after four hours in trains/bus from Tokyo. After climbing for awhile at a healthy pace we realized we needed to slow way down, taking long stops at the various stations, to arrive at the top for sunrise (We didn't want to be exposed at the top for several hours waiting). Met people from USA, Europe, Australia and Asia. I was surprised at the number of people who smoked during rest stops! Trail was somewhat steeper than I expected. We got to the top just after sunrise at 6am. Visibility was pretty poor - it is more days than not I'm told. Descending trail was in great shape and we got down pretty fast.

Steve Hufford
Anchorage, Alaska USA

Walkoutnow

Walkoutnow - Sep 19, 2014 6:17 pm Date Climbed: Sep 12, 2014

Great experience  Sucess!

Took the Yoshida trail, starting at daylight. Really enjoyed the trek up, stopping at the huts (which were starting to close up, or make preps for it), trying to converse with locals, getting the "touristic" walking stick stamped, everything. The views at the summit were muted because of the clouds sitting at about 9k ft. However, the weather was fantastic, completely sunny above the cloud ceiling, a bit of a brisk wind, but overall very lucky. Not too bad with crowds going up, but passed quite a bit heading down that afternoon. The 5th station was a mad house at the base when I returned, however. Get in your bus line early, as they fill up quick, and are in short order this time of year.

bwilldur - Sep 10, 2014 12:53 pm Date Climbed: Sep 8, 2014

Yoshidaguchi at Night, No hut

Wanted to hike Fujinomiya originally but the weather and timing didn't match up, so I elected to try for the Yoshidaguchi trail.

Started walking from the Fujisan train station and arrived at the Sengen Shine around 4pm for the official start of the hike. The lower stations were great but hiking at night there was not too much to see. The train of people and the desolate landscape after the 6th was a bit depressing. Altitude sickness kicked in pretty bad near the top and I slowed to a crawl. Summit at 5:30am, just after sunrise. Terribly boring descent and bused out slightly disappointed but proud.

ZeroFC - Jan 18, 2014 11:56 pm Date Climbed: Jan 18, 2014

Winter Climb  Sucess!

Winter season solo ascent. Second weekend in a row to make the climb - Weekend prior had to turn at station 8 because of wind conditions over 110km/h that would not let up. Yesterday was successful.

Yesterdays conditions in terms of wind was much better but temperatures were below -15c before taking wind chill into consideration which showed temps of 35c. Lots of hard snow/ice above station 8. Knowing how to self arrest is crucial. It was more challenging than I expected.

Done in a 24hr period.

JeremiahJohnson - Oct 27, 2013 10:39 pm Date Climbed: Jul 23, 2013

Fuji-San  Sucess!

Climbed Fuji-Chan via the Gotemba Route with one experienced Mountaineer and 2 inexperienced hikers (all Japanese). Left at 7PM to hike under a full moon in hopes to reach the summit by sunrise. Unfortunately, I was the only person in our party that was able to summit to watch the sunrise. We were on the trail for 18 hours total due to the inexperienced hikers needing lots of rest stops. Super fun, although somewhat of a long slog...

Thomas Jäwert

Thomas Jäwert - Oct 26, 2013 5:13 am Date Climbed: Sep 2, 2002

We did it!  Sucess!

Climbed with Sayuri

highpointa - Jun 18, 2013 11:16 pm Date Climbed: Sep 6, 2010

Day trip from Tokyo  Sucess!

This is one of the most rewarding hike if done off season and without the crowds. Did it as a day trip from Tokyo.

reggiejoshua

reggiejoshua - Feb 17, 2013 3:04 am

Very crowded hike to the top  Sucess!

The trail to the summit is very crowded during the August season, and the summit is full of tourist. However the view is amazing and the acces to the mountain is very easy. Would like to try a winter ascent.

Viewing: 1-20 of 75
Return to 'Fuji-san' main page