Galehead Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 23
12
richdoug

richdoug - Sep 26, 2023 3:07 pm Date Climbed: Sep 22, 2023

Pemi Loop  Sucess!

peak 6 of 10 during a 4 day Pemi loop backpack trip

joseyinnet

joseyinnet - Aug 3, 2018 2:43 pm Date Climbed: Aug 1, 2018

Enshrouded in clouds  Sucess!

Quick jaunt up from the hut during a multi-day trip. Pretty cool views from the ledge of the surrounding mountains being whipped by rain.

technicolorNH

technicolorNH - Jun 18, 2016 2:46 pm Date Climbed: Jun 17, 2016

First of the day and short  Sucess!

After a completely sleepless night spent in a bunk at the Galehead Hut I took the twenty minute walk to the top to start the day. When viewed from the overlook on North Twin this mountain looks like an insignificant bump compared to the hulking size of South Twin.

JRaphaelson

JRaphaelson - May 16, 2013 12:39 pm Date Climbed: May 15, 2013

Route Climbed: Pemi Loop  Sucess!

Did as part of a 2 day pemi loop. The views were incredible on a clear, sunny day.

ape - Jun 21, 2012 4:45 pm Date Climbed: Aug 18, 2011

Pemi loop backpack  Sucess!

Did a Pemi Loop over 2.5 days with a couple of friends. Going counter clockwise, camped at Guyot and Garfield tent sites. Saw an awesome lightning over a town to the north storm from Garfield; got hailed on in a lightning storm on the way out on the last day. Had a bottle of Bowmore with us.

The others were a bit tuckered out at this point, so I did this as an out-and-back myself. Wasn't able to catch up with them until the campsite on Garfield, where they were waiting.

rasgoat

rasgoat - Nov 24, 2011 11:46 am

easy

Tagged it on the way from Garfield to South Twin.

LDuszer

LDuszer - Oct 5, 2010 11:57 pm Date Climbed: Jul 7, 2010

easy run from the hut  Sucess!

This was the 5th peak I climbed on my route over the course of a few days. It's a quick hike to the summit from Galehead Hut, which is a much-needed resting spot after coming down from South Twin. My dog took a breather near the summit cairn.

Jofa

Jofa - Apr 29, 2010 1:45 pm Date Climbed: Jul 1, 2009

easy hike, hut right there  Sucess!

stayed at hut, nice area, right next to twins

dirth

dirth - Nov 1, 2009 8:23 pm Date Climbed: Nov 1, 2009

Empty  Sucess!

No one around. Hut closed up. Kind of cool to have the whole place to ourselves for the entire day.

starship_jen

starship_jen - Jun 6, 2009 8:41 pm Date Climbed: May 16, 2009

Garfield & Galehead  Sucess!

Hit Garfield first, then to the hut to drop off gear, and a quick trip to Galehead. No view, but a decent view on the way up at the outlook. Back to the hut just in time to avoid the rain and wind!

Flanders

Flanders - Oct 3, 2008 11:08 pm Date Climbed: Sep 24, 2008

Very easy...very tired  Sucess!

Another treed in summit...guess you gotta do it to tag all the 4000'ers. Hut was nice, mmmmm potato bread.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Sep 29, 2008 1:20 am Date Climbed: Sep 24, 2008

Longer Day  Sucess!

Tagged as the 8th of 8 summit from the Bonds to Galehead before hiking out the Franconia Brook Trail. 34 miles on a two-day trip. Left the packs at the Hut and was very thankful to the hut for their cinnamon bun and Hershey bars as I brought too little food for this hike.

Tahawus

Tahawus - Aug 12, 2008 4:53 pm Date Climbed: Aug 14, 2007

Galehead Mountain  Sucess!

Climbed with Garfield via the Garfield Ridge Trail from Gale River Road. Traversed a steep and rocky section of the Appalachian Trail coming over from Garfield. No views to speak of from the summit but there is a nice lookout on the Frost Trail coming up from the Galehead Hut.

TLP

TLP - Jul 21, 2008 5:00 pm Date Climbed: Jul 19, 2008

Gale River  Sucess!

A mountain to do with cloudy skies, you're basically getting no views anyway. I wanted to climb a 4000er, and I had the day off. It rained the night before and it was still dreary out, but I would still rather be out on the trail. The folks at the hut were nice when I stopped by.

Grampahawk

Grampahawk - Mar 21, 2008 3:36 pm Date Climbed: Mar 2, 2008

snow slog  Sucess!

An Ok day, about 32 at the base with some overcast and a few snow showers. The trail from the Rt 3 parking lot was unbroken all the way to the top so it presented an interesting challenge. About 8 inces of newly fallen powder with a crust underneath that would continually grab the snowshoes when you broke through meant a lot of falls. The summit was not that interesting but I knocked this one off my 4000 footer list.

eric-griz

eric-griz - Dec 1, 2007 9:57 am Date Climbed: Sep 11, 2001

A sad day  Sucess!

A lot going on in our world that day. Being in the mountains, however, I was oblivious to it all. Anyway I made it up the Twins and Galehead before setting up camp at 13 Falls Campsite and heading to Owl's Head.

bidwelldk

bidwelldk - Oct 25, 2006 6:40 pm

Route Climbed,: Garfield Ridge- to Fros trail  Sucess!

Part of a three day loop. Figured I might as well hit the top since I was right there.

woodstrider

woodstrider - Oct 15, 2006 5:43 pm Date Climbed: Jul 24, 2002

Backpack to Peakbag  Sucess!

From base camp at Garfield tentsites we day hiked this. The hut was then newly renovated. Can I ask- who sleeps on the top (4th level) bunk in there?

royswkr - Jun 14, 2006 12:27 am Date Climbed: Mar 6, 1976

Wasn't on the list then  Sucess!

Drove part way to trailhead, road icy enough to turn around by spinning car

Matt Worster

Matt Worster - Nov 12, 2005 9:45 pm

Route Climbed: From Zealand Date Climbed: 8 Sept 2004  Sucess!

Wow, what a summit. It's summits like these that remind me what a list-dork I am. But I'm a happy list-dork, so what the hey! Part of a long dayhike that included Zealand. One or two red maples had turned color down by the ponds.

Viewing: 1-20 of 23
12
Return to 'Galehead Mountain' main page