Ganok's wall

Ganok's wall

A scary northern wall hidden in the back of Ganok.
Den Arkin Smith
on Nov 4, 2006 9:24 am
Image ID: 241254

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-14 of 14
Corax

Corax - Nov 13, 2006 12:53 am - Voted 10/10

Nice face, nice photo!

Where is it and what's the name of the peak?

Tomek Lodowy

Tomek Lodowy - Dec 31, 2006 12:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Ganek peak - High Tatras

Hello Corax!

This is Ganek peak, in not only my opinion one of the most interesting High Tatra massifs, the name of the peak comes from the characterstic, legendary NW face falling vertically to Ceska Valley(on the photo).

Here You have:
Ganek peak at Summitpost

Galeria Ganku - NW Face TOPO and routes

If You ever plan to visit the area and try to face Ganek walls and need some more info - just give me a sign.

Best wishes for New Year with many many unforgetable moments in the mountains of the world !

Tomek

Corax

Corax - Jan 1, 2007 2:16 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Ganek peak - High Tatras

Ok!
Thanks for the info.
I searched for Ganok and got no hit. The Ganek page I have visited. As this photo showed the wall with snow, I failed to connect to the Ganek page.
Looks like a very interesting peak.

All the best for 2007 to you too Tomek!

Tomas Kristofory

Tomas Kristofory - Jan 9, 2007 6:03 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Ganek peak - High Tatras

There is a language problema about the Ganek.

Tomek Lodowy writes in his page of Ganek: "The name of the peak parallelly comes from Galeria Ganku which specific shape was seemed by the local highlanders and 19th century mountaineers to be "ganek" (a porch of the house). Such name got into publications in 1860's, Slovaks took it over in Polish spelling."

That is true, but the slovak language changed a bit in the last century. The "Ganek" is a dialect, slovak should be "Ganok". The Slovak cartography institution ordered it to be signed in the maps as the Ganok till the middle of the year 2006.

But for me it is still Ganek.

It is a very stunning peak!

Every polish and slovak mountaineer listen carefully if spoken about the Ganek. It is a term for us.

May the year 2007 be the best mountain year in ever! And all the best also in other respects of life!

Corax

Corax - Jan 10, 2007 12:11 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Ganek peak - High Tatras

Thanks for all the info.
So, it's a language thing behind it all, not a simple mis-spelling.
Anyway, the above photo is great and the peak itself looks very nice as well.

Tomas Kristofory

Tomas Kristofory - Jan 10, 2007 12:21 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Ganek peak - High Tatras

What a mistake! Firstly I didn't vote for that beautiful shot! 10+ points!

Den Arkin Smith

Den Arkin Smith - Nov 13, 2006 10:58 am - Hasn't voted

location of Ganok

Thanks Corax!
You are the first to comment one of my pictures! Congratulations! And it's an honor to me of course. :)
The High Tatras are both Slovakia's and the Carpathian's highest mountain range. Actually, part of the mountains belong to Poland too. There is a peak called Gánok (I wrote it simply Ganok) which has a wild northern face. I don't know how often do rock climbers try it, and how many climbs are registered here in a year, but what I am sure about; the face must be much colder than other areas are here.
Please let me know, when you're going to try it! :) And take care!
Thank you for the comment!

Blaze334

Blaze334 - Nov 24, 2006 10:08 pm - Voted 10/10

Nagyon jó !

Tök jó kép. Nagyon szép. Gratulálok !

Den Arkin Smith

Den Arkin Smith - Nov 25, 2006 1:11 am - Hasn't voted

kössz szépen!

Köszi Blaze! :)
A magyar szöveg igen ritka errefelé, kellemes érzés ilyet olvasni. :)
Szereted a Tátrát?

Den

Blaze334

Blaze334 - Nov 26, 2006 2:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: kössz szépen!

Természetesen. A hegyõrület ott kezdõdött.Nem sziklamászás, inkább magashegyi túrázássá nõtte ki magát. Minden túrautat végigjártunk egy pesti barátommal a Tátrában. '95-ben kezdõdött azt hiszem.

vircor

vircor - Nov 21, 2007 6:41 am - Voted 10/10

beautiful photo

of the wildest face in high tatras..

Den Arkin Smith

Den Arkin Smith - Nov 27, 2007 6:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Yeah.

Thanks Vircor! Even the sight of such walls make me scared. I wouldn't take the risk to climb them. I like exploring steep ridges or couloirs but hanging hundreds of meters from the ground could scare the hell out of me. ;)

GG - Jun 6, 2008 12:01 am - Voted 10/10

Excellent shot !

Extraordinary mountain, conditions and shot.
Good job!
I know this mountain ... One of the famoust in Tatras.

Ahoj, hore zdar!

BTW: Ganok in Slovak or Ganek in Polish - the name means the same and orignated from the North (or from NW as on above photography): A kind of veranda, very common in (reacher) houses at the foot of Tatras. The shape of verandas protruding from the steep roofs of houses is just like one can see above on the peak of Ganok/Ganek - which dominates the real "veranda", "ganok/ganek" on its northern face.

Den Arkin Smith

Den Arkin Smith - Jan 3, 2010 5:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent shot !

Thanks for your comment GG!

Viewing: 1-14 of 14