Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Faster

Faster - Nov 24, 2008 11:06 pm - Voted 9/10

Great Park

Does get crowded on holidays and on weekends in the summer.

woodsxc

woodsxc - May 20, 2009 11:18 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Park

Wow! I skipped right over your comment. So here's a response, almost six months late: it depends.

It can get pretty crowded in the summer or on nice weather holidays. When I was there for spring break a couple years ago, it was misty and kinda rainy. Consequentially, we had the park entirely to ourselves (except for the goats). If you want solitude, you can definitely find it, just try to go midweek and during the off season. During peak crowds, they do limit the number of vehicles inside the park.

silversummit

silversummit - Nov 27, 2008 10:37 am - Voted 10/10

I've always heard.....

about places like this in the hill country of Texas from those who once lived there so your write-up is a nice overview of a park there. I feel like I could use it to plan a visit.

woodsxc

woodsxc - Nov 27, 2008 10:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I've always heard.....

Glad to help. Garner is one of several parks right close to one another so you can camp at one place and hit a few others.

JohnMcPike

JohnMcPike - Dec 3, 2008 11:39 pm - Voted 10/10

The Rio Frio

lives up to its Cold River name. It has some great spots for swimming in the pleasantly cool water.

woodsxc

woodsxc - Dec 4, 2008 1:00 am - Hasn't voted

Re: The Rio Frio

It was really cold when I was there. There might be a picture of me trying to run to a little island on the main page.

woodsxc

woodsxc - Dec 27, 2008 2:11 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Cool!

We did it as a family spring break trip a couple of years ago and I'd like to get back down there soon. I think that we actually did that scramble. The signs said Baldy was closed and we said "forget that" and went up anyways. Thanks and I'll link that page tonight.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Garner State Park' main page