Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.70748°N / 12.33493°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5932 ft / 1808 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Geigelstein
Geigelstein summit with chapel and Wilder Kaiser range


One of the most prominent and therefor most frequented summits of Chiemgau Alps is Geigelstein.

Despite its “only” 1808 m, Geigelstein is a good portion higher than the surrounding summits and thus offers spectacular views.

Geigelstein is the highest point of the subrange of the same denomination. In fact Geigelstein is the only “true” summit of the subrange, the other summits being more or less bumps and heights on its many ridges with the only exception of Breitenstein, the neighbor summit of Geigelstein.

Located in the southwestern part of Chiemgau Alps Geigelstein rises above the Walchsee – Kössen – valley to the south, the Tiroler Ache valley to the east and the Prien valley to the east.

The adjacent summits are Chiemgauer Breitenstein to the south and Roßalpenkopf to the north. Laubergraben and Talgraben go down from near the summit to Prien valley, Lochbachgraben and Schneiderhangraben do the same down to Tiroler Ache valley.

Geigelstein
Geigelstein as seen from the west
Geigelstein
Geigelstein summit area


Geigelstein is a prime hiking area with spectacular wildflowers blossoming from may through july. Biking is allowed only on forest roads as huge parts of the subrange is a nature protection area. In winter ski touring is allowed only on marked routes.

Despite of being very frequented some Geigelstein routes are astonishingly solitary and quiet. Maybe this is due to the fact that there are so many routes. But all are ending at the same culmination point: Geigelstein (mostly crowded) summit.


Getting There

Main trailheads are:

  • Sachrang and Sachrang / Huben for western ascents

  • Schleching and Schleching / Ettenhausen for the eastern ascents

  • Schleching / Mühlau for the northern ascent

  • Walchsee / Winkl for the southern ascent



  • Geigelstein
    Geigelstein and Schleching / Ettenhausen valley
    Geigelstein
    Geigelstein south and Walchsee region as seen from Zahmer Kaiser


    Sachrang and Sachrang / Huben can be reached by car

    by using highway A 8 from Munich or Salzburg to exit Frasdorf, then on road number St2093, passing through Aschau. Both hiker parking areas (fee required) are directly besides the road and are signposted.

    Schleching can be reached by car

    by using highway A 8 from Munich or Salzburg to exit Bernau, then on road number B 305 to Marquartstein. Turn then on road B 307 to Schleching.

  • For Schleching / Mühlau (northern ascent) turn on Kampenwandstraße just after Schleching / Mettenham and proceed on that road passing through Mühlau into the woods with the parking area (2017: no fee).

  • The small parking area at Schleching can be found at the end of Austraße; turn on Mühlauer Straße at Schleching village, then on Austraße.

  • The parking area of Schleching / Ettenhausen is at the end of Geigelsteinstraße at the former valley station of the Geigelstein cablecar. Turn on Schlechinger Straße at Ettenhausen, then on Geigelsteinstraße and proceed to its end.



  • Geigelstein
    Priener Hütte as seen from the summit
    Geigelstein
    Beautiful Schreckalm


    Walchsee / Winkl can be reached by car

    from highway A 12 (Innsbruch) / A 93 (Munich, Rosenheim) by using exit Oberaudorf. Cross the German – Austrian border and proceed on road number 172 to Walchsee.
    Turn there on Hausbergstraße and proceed to Winkl and a hiker parking area.


    All trailheads are not directly linked to the railway system. You have to use busses from the nearest railway stations – Aschau for the Sachrang trailheads; Bernau for the Schleching trailheads, Oberaudorf for the Walchsee trailhead. See the Chiemgau Alps main page for further information.


    Routes Overview

    Geigelstein Routes Overview



     
    Geigelstein
    Summit zone / west routes

    Western ascents from Sachrang and Sachrang / Huben


    Route via Priener Hütte

    From Sachrang or Sachrang / Huben parking area follow the forest roads up to their junction point above the Judensee. Follow the forest road up to Priener Hütte using Talgraben valley.
    One switchback of the forest road can be shortcut using the marked old trail.

    From Priener Hütte follow the forest road to its end at Oberkaser Alm. Ascend trail number 200 (also 207, 8, 20) to the col between Rossalpenkopf and Geigelstein and follow the trail up to the summit.

    Geigelstein
    On the Schreckalm trail
    Geigelstein
    Near Schreckalm
    Geigelstein
    Summit slopes, west ascents


    Route via Schreckalm

    Shortly after the junction point of the forest roads from Schleching and Schleching / Huben trailhead a trail leaves the forest road to the left. Follow this marked route (number 207) on trails and partly on forest roads up to the lovely Schreckalm. Proceed on the trail number 3 to Sulzing Alm where you meet the route via Priener Hütte. Ascend the summit as described above.

    Geigelstein
    Summit panorama


    Eastern ascents from Schleching and Schleching / Ettenhausen


    Route via Wuhrsteinalm

    Follow the forest road from the parking area up to Wuhrsteinalm and further on to Wirtsalm, where the road ends. Ascend on trail number 8 to the broad col beween Geigelstein and Breitenstein and follow the trail up the south ridge of Geigelstein to the summit.

    Geigelstein
    South trail from summit to Wirtsalm
    Geigelstein
    Wuhrsteinalm and Breitenstein


    Route via Roßalm

    Ascend the forest road starting at the trailhead to a road junction at about 900 m near Alpbach valley. Follow the marked route, first on a road then on a trail on the orographic left side of Alpbach creek until you rejoin the first forest road again. Immediately after that you arrive at Schusterbauer Alm where the road ends.
    Trail number 81 / 207 takes you up to the south slopes of Weitlahnerkopf and to a trail junction with the northern route via Weitlahnerkopf. This summit can easily climbed from the trail junction within 10 minutes.

    The ascent trail goes west and then southwest and hits Roßalm, the highest Alm of Chiemgau Alps (food and drinks available).

    Geigelstein
    Trail to Roßalm with Weitlahnerkopf
    Geigelstein
    Schusterbaueralm on Roßalm trail
    Geigelstein
    Roßalm, highest Alm of Chiemgau


    At Roßalm the trail goes south to the col between Roßalpenkopf and Geigelstein where it meets the Schleching routes. Climb the north ridge of Geigelstein on a good trail to the summit.


    Northern ascent

    The northern ascent uses the forest road of Dalsenbach valley up to Dalsenalm. From there on follow a trail number 200 (also 8 or 20 up) the north slopes of Weitlahnerkopf until you reach this summit. Turn west to Roßalm and follow the above described route to the summit.


    Southern ascent from Walchsee / Winkl via Priener Hütte

    Follow the road Oberwinkl and then the forest road using Rahmbach valley up to Priener Hütte.
    From Priener Hütte follow the forest road to its end at Oberkaser Alm. Ascend trail number 200 (also 207, 8, 20) to the col between Rossalpenkopf and Geigelstein and follow the trail up to the summit.


    Geigelstein
    Geigelstein south ridge on the way to Breitenstein
    Geigelstein
    Ridge from Geigelstein to Breitenstein


    Traverses

    Geigelstein to Breitenstein using the south ridge trail of Geigelstein and the north ridge trail up to Breitenstein, crossing the broad col between the two summits in some ups and downs. Short scrambling is required.


    Ski routes

  • From Sachrang or Huben on the forest roads to Priener Hütte and up the west slope; alternatively via Wirtsalm, Schreckalm and Sulzingalm. All ski routes are marked and guide you around the protected areas.

  • From Schleching/Ettenhausen via Wuhrsteinalm and Wirtsalm. From there use the south slope to the summit.

  • The route from Schleching to Dalsenalm (forest road) and up to Weitlahnerkopf is free from 01.december through 31. March of every year along the route stakes – please respect this and follow the marked route closely as you are in the core zone of the protection area.




  • Red Tape & Accommodation

     
    Geigelstein
    Geigelstein: red tape areas


    Huge parts of Geigelstein area are a nature protection area.

    See some basic information here.

    There is a core zone which is closed for hikers and ski tourists from 1st december through 31. may every year.

    Ski touring is possible in special indicated corridors within the protection area, as is snow shoe touring or hiking on the marked trails!

    Mountain biking is forbidden in the protection area as is camping, fire, domestic animals, collecting plants.

    Please respect all regulations and stay on the trails or the marked ski routes.


    Accommodation can be found at:

    Aschau/Chiemgau
    Schleching
    Walchsee
    Kössen
    Sachrang
    Marquartstein

    Geigelstein
    Upper Wirtsalm near Wuhrsteinalm
    Geigelstein
    Priener Hütte



    Mountain huts:

    Priener Hütte
    Wuhrsteinalm
    Obere Wirtsalm
    Roßalm (highest Alm hut of Chiemgau Alps)


    Gear & Mountain Condition

    Geigelstein is a year round summit.

    Geigelstein
    Geigelstein: hikers summer dream
    Geigelstein
    Geigelstein: ski hikers winter dream


    In spring, summer and autumn it’s the hikers realm, in winter and early spring it’s a well known ski and snow shoe target.

    For your hiking activities bring good shoes, maybe hiking poles and in spring and early summer some gaiters.

    In winter full ski/snow shoe gear and avalanche gear is mandatory.

    See the Bavarian avalanche bulletin here.


    Current Weather:



    Maps

    Alpenvereinskarte, Bayerische Alpen, number BY 17, Chiemgauer Alpen West; with trails and ski routes, UMT-grid, scale 1 : 25.000, edition 2014

    Topographische Karten von Bayern, number UKL 50-54, Chiemsee, Chiemgauer Alpen, trails and MTB routes, UTM grid, scale 1 : 50.000, edition 2016

    Geigelstein
    Summit view into Inn valley and Kitzbüheler Alps
    Geigelstein
    A view from Hochgernhaus to Geigelstein



    Geigelstein Wildflower Album

    Geigelstein
    Unknown beauty - who knows this plant?
    Geigelstein
    Globularia nudicaulis


    Geigelstein
    Anthyllis vulneraria
    Geigelstein
    a bunch of Aquilegia


    Geigelstein
    Trollius europaeus
    Geigelstein
    Dryas octopetala and Gentiana acaulis


    Geigelstein
    Anemone species
    Geigelstein
    Anemone sylvestris


    Geigelstein
    Ajuga cf. genevensis and Anthyllis vulneraria
    Geigelstein
    The cows of the dairy farming keeps the meadows brush free and thus allow many wildflowers to grow


    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Chiemgau AlpsMountains & Rocks