Viewing: 1-7 of 7
SzaniUherkovich

SzaniUherkovich - Oct 2, 2014 3:09 am - Voted 10/10

Gugu

Very useful page!
I am speculating about going to Gugu for long time. But it looks to be a challenge for me. Have you already been there on the peak? Can it be done within 1 day? (I suppose if yes, then it must be done from the water reservoir Gura Apeilor, right?)
Can hikers cross the bed of the water reservoir Gura Apeilor (on certain satellite photos it looks to be dry), or should they go around? If to go around, then from east or from west? Is the trail going up marked well? What about bears?

Cheers, Szani

LukZem

LukZem - Oct 4, 2014 12:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Gugu

Hi Szani,

I am very pleased with your deep interest in this mysterious area:D Please, be patient. I am working on Gugu Mtn/Rock page...

As for Gugu, I was on the top (you can check it in my video), following an unmarked path from Saua Mitului via Moraru to Gugu. Then I descended towards Gugu tarn and spent a romantic night. The next day I left the Godeanu massif following an unmarked path (traverse of Branu summit) to Gugu refuge (possibility of staying overnight, especially in winter). From Gugu refuge I followed a hiking trail marked with pink line descending towards Lapusnicul Mic valley. Then I went on along this river to reach one of the gulfs of Gura Apelor.

If you want to climb the Gugu peak within 1 day - I think it is possible (cca 5 hours of ascent from Gura Apelor (Lapusnicul Mic gulf) and cca 4 hours of descent). But I recommend to stay overnight by the Gugu lake - IMHO it is one of the most memorable campsites I have ever visited in the Carpathians:D

I doubt about crossing the bed of Gura Apelor. I was twice in this site(May 2012 when leaving the Retezat massif and August 2014) and in both cases the reservoir was full of water. The best option is to hitchhike somebody who is driving along the shore of the reservoir (I was very lucky to go with RO couple from Hunedoara from the gulf of Lapusnicu Mic via the gulf of Lapusnicul Mare to the main dam). I am not sure about the western direction towards the gulf of Ses river (haven't been there yet). According to online maps of the Godeanu mts. it should be possible to go there. But I recommend to follow the eastern bank of Gura Apei (gulf of Lapusnicul Mare) and then wind to the south to reach the gulf of Lapusnicul Mic. Then you will see the pink line trail leading along the river and after cca half an hour you start ascending the forested slope (pristine spruce forest) towards Gugu refuge. From here you have two options. The first (recommended) is to follow an unmarked traverse of Branu summit to Gugu tarn. The second (haven't tried yet) is to ascend the Branu summit and continue along the crest of this lateral ridge directly towards Gugu peak.

As for the bears, I didn't encounter them. But I am confident, that these remote mountains offer very favourable habitats for their living...

Take care!

Lukas

SzaniUherkovich

SzaniUherkovich - Oct 9, 2014 5:51 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Gugu

Hi Lukas,

Thanks for the detailed answer! Unfortunately I can do hiking only without backpack. I had a bad injury a few years ago and since than I cannot bring loads. So I must do it within a day.

Yes, it looks to be better to go around the lake from east. You recommended that "The best option is to hitchhike somebody who is driving along the shore of the reservoir". And what if I drive my own car? Is it forbidden? Or is the road too bad for a standard car? I have a standard Fiat Stilo. I take care of the car. If it is a must, I use it on better quality dirt roads. But not on bad dirt roads. What do you know about these road conditions on the north-east shore of the lake, and what do you know about the south shore of the lake to gulf of Lapusnicul Mare?

Best regards, Szani

LukZem

LukZem - Oct 11, 2014 12:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Gugu

Hi Szani,

I am sorry for not knowing about your bad injury. In case you drive your own car (me not:), it is necessary to pay an entrance fee (about 10 RON) for entering the Retezat NP area. Moreover, IMO the forest road along the eastern/southern shore is in bad condition (a lot of holes, cut trees), that's why I think the usual EU driver would give up this idea. But you can try it if you want...

Best wishes,

Lukas

SzaniUherkovich

SzaniUherkovich - Oct 2, 2014 3:12 am - Voted 10/10

Hungarian name

Hungarian name: Godján-hegység

peterbud

peterbud - Oct 5, 2014 3:13 am - Voted 10/10

Valuable addition!

Thanks for posting this page and the photos, Lukas! Only one minor correction: as far as I know, the Rotunda hut is out of service since 2012.

LukZem

LukZem - Oct 5, 2014 12:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Valuable addition!

Thanks a lot:)
BTW: On May 2012 I descended from the Retezat mountains passing by Rotunda. It seemed to be deserted, but I thought that in summer period it will be opened...

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Godeanu Mountains' main page