Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.85570°N / 98.815°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2382 ft / 726 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

CAUTION! Gordon peak is located on private property. Permission should be granted from local landowner(s) before any attempt to climb this mountain. Gordon Peak is officially an "unnamed" peak. It is the southernmost of two peaks in what is known by locals as the Christmas Mountains just outside of the NW corner of the Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge near Lawton OK. My family has referred to this mountain as Gordon Peak for a number of years - named after my father who did climb to the top at the age of 71. It is the only peak in the Wichita Mountain Range that he ever had the opportunity to climb although he did make numerous trips to the area to enjoy the beautiful Oklahoma scenery. The peak is in the shape of a gentle cone and is an easy non-technical climb involving mostly boulder-hopping and easy to moderate scrambling. Directly to the north of Gordon Peak is Cooper Peak and a little to the south is Haley Peak.

Getting There

Gordon peak is located 4/5 mile directly south, and 3 miles directly east of Cooperton, OK on the Commanche/Kiowa County line. You can go south from Cooperton on State Rt 54 and turn left (east) on E1490 rd until it makes a right turn to the south (about 2 miles). Before you make this turn, Gordon Peak will be directly in front of you to the east.

Red Tape

CAUTION! GORDON PEAK IS LOCATED ON PRIVATE PROPERTY!
It was a number of years ago (1977) when I hiked to the top of this mountain. It is currently fenced in and I do not know who the current landowners are. I will update this page if I obtain any additional information.



Additional Information

CAMPGROUNDS NEARBY:
The Doris Campground is located off Rt 49 in the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge near the Visitor Center. Take Rt 54 south from Cooperton OK to Rt 49 east into the WMWR. It is about 18 miles from Cooperton to the Doris Campground. Great Plains State Park: Located two miles north of Mountain Park OK and about 14 miles from Cooperton. Features 487 park acres on 6400 acre Tom Steed Lake with 70 campsites, nature, hiking and biking trails. From Cooperton, take Rt 54 south about 1/4 mile to Rt 19 west. Follow Rt 19 to Roosevelt Ok and then US 183 south until you reach Great Plains State Park.


For more information about the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge please refer to this link:

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service,Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge
Route 1, Box 448, Indiahoma, OK 73552 (580) 429-3222