Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Mar 9, 2011 10:40 am - Voted 10/10

Great album,...

Kathy. Not to worry about the quality of the photos. What's important is that you have preserved the memory of a great and educational trip for your son.
Cheers,
Marc

silversummit

silversummit - Mar 9, 2011 3:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great album,...

Thanks Marc! These pictures do bring back many memories including funny responses like: "Do I have to get out at this stop too?"

Nonetheless, it achieved its purpose! Thanks for looking!
Kathy

EricChu

EricChu - Mar 9, 2011 2:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Great album!

I think this was a trip your son will never forget as long as he lives!
Thanks for posting this remarkable set of photos, Kathy!
Cheers,
Eric

silversummit

silversummit - Mar 9, 2011 3:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great album!

Thank you Eric! Tim still remembers the picnic lunches we packed each morning and the mini-hisotry lessons from his father. Thank goodness this was pre-Facebook and cell phone days! K.

Henryk

Henryk - Mar 9, 2011 3:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Unforgettable Views

I visited Grand Canyon with my wife back in 1999 and we are also awe struck by the breathtaking vistas. Thank you for posting so we can relieve our memories too. Henryk

silversummit

silversummit - Mar 9, 2011 4:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Unforgettable Views

You are so kind to say this Henry. I am very glad that you have been to the Grand Canyon too and just a year before we were there!

I always enjoy your wonderful pictures and especially seeing you and your wife hiking together - so special!

Again thank you for writing!
Kathy

lcarreau

lcarreau - Mar 10, 2011 10:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Great images ...

I actually WORKED at South Rim Village in 1991.

If this is any consolation, I LOST most of my negatives and
color pictures taken in my "insta-matic" days.

The canyon remains. When your son grows older, he will look
BACK upon this trip and realize even though technology seems
to be GROWING faster than erosion, there are a few things more
priceless than 10x digital zoom and the tail end of a mule.

Not MANY things, mind you! : )

silversummit

silversummit - Mar 11, 2011 9:03 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great images ...

I know the feeling of losing pictures from a special place (I'm still looking for some of mine.....) And you're right, it's more important that he traveled with us that summer.

RayMondo

RayMondo - Mar 28, 2011 4:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Very Pretty Album

A fine set of revealing and inspiring photos. A place that I have yet to reach.

silversummit

silversummit - Mar 28, 2011 7:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very Pretty Album

Thank you! It's definitely a wonderful place to visit!

EricCox

EricCox - Apr 12, 2011 8:20 am - Hasn't voted

I realate

Greetings!
I SO relate to your story. In 1999 I took my 9 year old son on his first trip out west. I didn't know it but he was very sick with some sort of stomach virus as we left. By the time we landed in Salt Lake, he had thrown up several times. At first I thought it might have had to do woth his first time in a jet. We continued south on our way to the Grand Canyon, but when we got there, he didn't feel good enough to get out of the car. We have been back west a few times and he wasn't sick, but I will never forget my frist time there. As I look back now, the memory isn't as bad, but I'm glad no one took my photo!!

silversummit

silversummit - Apr 12, 2011 10:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I realate

Ugh! Not exactly the best way to start a trip Eric.

Our son spent some of his hours in the third seat of our rental minivan on the borrowed laptop playing games and by the final week he was bellowing "Do I have to get out at this place too?"

I think every traveling family has some photos they wish no ever took (but still treasure) and a few they are thrilled were missed!

Cheers to family adventures!

silversummit

silversummit - Apr 22, 2011 8:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: The Grand

You did the Grand in a kayak - no question about life changing and skin-changing no doubt! Still on my 'bucket list' even if only for a short rafting trip.

Thanks for looking!
Kathy

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - May 12, 2011 11:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Grand Canyon in the Summer

My brother and I did the loop from South Rim to the river and back in one day back in April 96, but that would be a bad idea in the summer. In July 98, my wife and I started out before dawn and before the worst of the day's heat reached Phantom Ranch, where we spent the night. The next morning, we started out about an hour prior to dawn and were able to get to the rim before it got nastily hot. If you go back, consider that plan.

silversummit

silversummit - May 12, 2011 11:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Grand Canyon in the Summer

Sounds like a plan but I doubt that I'll ever hike my way down at my age but I still dream of rafting which I could definitely do!

Appreciate the input!

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Return to 'Grand Canyon Millenium Trip' main page