Viewing: 1-5 of 5
grabbs146

grabbs146 - Aug 11, 2010 9:25 am - Voted 10/10

pretty good info.

I climbed granite in august of 09' and found the snow bridge with a lot of snow. You did need an ice axe or a pole to get you through the icy parts but, they had plenty of snow that winter so, there was still plenty left over. We didn't use our crampons. Your 100% right about the weather. It rained everyday once we started but, before they had a whole week without rain. Great job on your climb!! Did you get any pics???

EricChu

EricChu - Aug 12, 2010 7:42 am - Voted 10/10

Very good information!

It's too bad you can't post this as a mountain page any more, as there is already one upon Granite peak...For a trip report, I find there is too little personal account - what was the day you yourself went up it like?

atpezboy

atpezboy - Aug 16, 2010 2:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very good information!

I did try to be a little generic, and provide the info that I wanted to know about the cimb that I couldn't find on-line. Our approach day was gorgeous. Didn't even rain until the evening. We then only moved another 2 miles and took an acclimatizatin day. Summit day was beautiful until about 11 AM, then it clouded up a bit just as we were getting to the summit. We had to retreat rather quickly, trying to get off the mountain before the rain. On our descent, we got 2 minutes of snow and a few sprinkles, but the weather held until about 5 PM when we were 3 miles further across the plateau. Then all hell broke loose for better than an hour.

FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - Aug 12, 2010 4:09 pm - Voted 8/10

Photos

would be helpful to warrant a higher vote.

atpezboy

atpezboy - Aug 16, 2010 2:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Photos

I tried to put in photos, but can't seem to figure it out. I will give it another go. I agree they are very helpful.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Granite Peak : What you need to know!' main page