Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6660 ft / 2030 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Grasberg and Hölzlestaljoch as seen from wintry Schafreiter
Grasberg and Hölzlestaljoch as seen from wintry Schafreiter
Tiny Grasberg as seen from Lamsenspitze summit
Tiny Grasberg as seen from Lamsenspitze summit

Rißtal valley divides the moderate summits of northern Pre – Karwendel ranges from the higher and sturdier main Karwendel peaks south of the valley. There is a 400 to 500 meters difference in the height of these summits. Thus the southernmost Pre – Karwendel summits offer fantastic views on the main chains.

This is the case when you climb Grasberg. Grasberg, meadow mountain, is not a very intriguing denomination, I admit. But don´t underestimate this outing. First of all: you are rather lonely. Next: these meadows in summer are awesome and full of wildflowers. Third: the views of Falken group, Sonnjoch and Gamsjoch peaks and to the northern chain of Karwendel are spectacular.

Grasberg is located between Kompar to the east and Hölzlestaljoch to the west. To the north a long ridge drops down to Laurisjoch and the valley of Baumgartenbach. Grasbergjoch col separates the summit from the long Kompar summit ridge and hosts a nearly abandoned Alm hut.

Grasberg is one of five summits along a traverse route from Tölzer hut below Schafreither to Plumsjoch hut between Montscheinspitze and Bettlerkarspitze. A fantastic traverse, including Schönalmjoch, Fleischbank, Hölzlestaljoch and Kompar. An easy hike on lonely and narrow trails with some short and easy rock scrambling.

Grasberg summit with a view to Schafreiter
Grasberg summit with a view to Schafreiter
Grasberg as seen from the ascent from Kreuzbrücke
Grasberg as seen from the ascent from Kreuzbrücke

Getting There

Best trailheads are two parking areas of Rißbach valley:

  • Parking area P4 “Johannestal” and
  • Parking area in front of the bridge above Rißbach, called Kreuzbrücke
  • A northern approach is possible, starting at Fall village and following the forest road into Dürrbach valley to Forsthaus Aquila and then into Baumgartenbach valley. This is a bike and hike outing!

You reach Rißbach / Eng valley on road B 13 coming from Munich, Bad Tölz and Lenggries or on road B 307 coming from Tegernsee valley. Both roads unite at Sylvenstein dammed lake. Pass by Fall village (or park there on the huge hiker parking area) and arrive at Vorderriß.

The approach from Innsbruck or Garmisch-Partenkirchen area is done by going on road number B 2 to Krün and on B 11 to Wallgau. Take the toll road from Wallgau to Vorderriß.

Laliderer Wände as seen from Grasberg ascent
Laliderer Wände as seen from Grasberg ascent
Birkarspitze, Ödkarspitzen and Talelespitze as seen from Grasberg ascent
Birkarspitze, Ödkarspitzen and Talelespitze as seen from Grasberg ascent

From Vorderriß proceed on Rißtal Landesstraße to Hinterriß and to the toll station. After the toll station you reach first parking area P 4 and then the parking area Kreuzbrücke in front of the bridge, where Rißtal Landesstraße changes from the north to the south side of Rißbach creek.

Public transportation

The next railway station is Lenggries. Bus number 9569 goes from Lenggries into Rißbach / Eng valley. There is a bus stop at parking area P4 and at parking area Kreuzbrücke

 

Routes Overview

Routes Overview

 

From parking area Kreuzbrücke take the small forest road to the right and ascend in zigzags Grasbergjoch and the Alm hut. Turn left there on a trail ascending meadows an the lower part of the Grasberg east ridge. Turn right at a first trail junction, left at a second one and right at the third. Follow the trail on the higher east ridge of Grasberg leading you to the summit.

Eng valley and Gamsjoch as seen from the ascent Kreuzbrücke - Grasberg
Eng valley and Gamsjoch as seen from the ascent Kreuzbrücke - Grasberg
Grasberg ascent near Grasbergjoch
Grasberg ascent near Grasbergjoch

If you stay left at the third trail junction you follow the traverse trail Plumsjoch hut to Tölzer hut. The trail passes south of the Grasberg summit to the col between Grasberg and Hölzlestaljoch. Turn right there and climb Grasberg summit via the west ridge.

Grasbergjoch panorama
Grasbergjoch panorama

From the col between Grasberg and Hölzelestaljoch you can proceed to the summits of Hölzlestaljoch and Fleischbank, west of Grasberg. Or you follow the traverse trail which passes below these summits on their south side.

Grasberg east ridge
Grasberg east ridge
Traverse trail below Grasberg on its south side
Traverse trail below Grasberg on its south side

West of Fleischbankt you reach a trail junction. The right hand trail proceeds to Schöntaljoch and to Tölzer hut. The left hand trail zigzags down endlessly to parking area P 4.

The toll road links the two parking areas, allow a 30 minutes foot walk between the two trailheads.

Arriving at Grasberg summit, Bettlerkarspitze, Schaufelspitze and Sonnjoch in the background
Arriving at Grasberg summit, Bettlerkarspitze, Schaufelspitze and Sonnjoch in the background
Grasberg summit with Hölzlestaljoch and Fleischbank
Grasberg summit with Hölzlestaljoch and Fleischbank

The northern ascent - bike and hike - follows Dürrbach forest road to Forsthaus Aquila and then Eiskönigbach forest road to its end. A trail brings you up to Grasbergjoch where you follow the east ridge route to Grasberg.

Red Tape & Accommodation

Grasberg is part of the “Alpenpark Karwendel”, an important and strictly protected national park. There is no entrance fee for the park but many regulations to follow. There is a National Park Information Center at Hinterriß. Information panels, starting at the parking area of Engalmen, show some interesting features of the Alpenpark Karwendel.

Grasberg (left background) as seen from Montscheinspitze summit
Grasberg (left background) as seen from Montscheinspitze summit
Grasberg (right) as seen from Stierjoch ascent
Grasberg (right) as seen from Stierjoch ascent

You find accommodation at

Hinterriß

Eng Almen

Camping and Caravans / Motor homes are not allowed within the Alpenpark Karwendel; there are heavy fines!

Gear & Mountain Condition

Grasberg is a hiking mountain, accessible from late spring to late autumn, depending on the arrival of the first heavier snow falls. Thus hiking gear is sufficient.

Grasberg west ridge require somes easy rock scrambling.

Weather

Das Wetter in Hinterriß

 

Maps

DAV map, scale 1 : 25000

number BY12, Karwendelgebirge Nord, Schafreiter

edition 2018, UTM grid, trails and ski / snow shoe routes

Short secured scrambling part, west ridge of Grasberg
Short secured scrambling part, west ridge of Grasberg
Dream day in Karwendel mountains
Dream day in Karwendel mountains

Landesamt für Digitalisierung, Breitband und Vermessung, scale 1 : 50000

number LDBV UK 50-51 Umgebungskarte, Karwendel,

edition 2019, UTM grid, trails