Gray Peak from Mt. Starr...

Gray Peak from Mt. Starr...

Gray Peak from Mt. Starr King's middle summit (May 21, 2005). The west ridge is seen angling down and to the right from the summit to the forest below.
Matthew Holliman
on Jul 8, 2005 12:05 am
Image ID: 113905

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Sep 2, 2005 12:05 am - Voted 10/10

1-star?

Some moron gave you one star. He clearly doesn't have a clue how impressive this view is or the trouble to get it. Probably some clown who spends too much time highpointing. :-)

PeterCorneliusSpaeth

PeterCorneliusSpaeth - Sep 2, 2005 5:38 am - Hasn't voted

Re: 1-star?

I did not vote this, but compared to other posts it certainly deserves more than 1 star. But be honest, qualitywise it is really quite bad. It shows JPEG artifacts and it is not very sharp. IMO it is important to first resize and resharpen then post a picture.

Peter.

Matthew Holliman

Matthew Holliman - Sep 3, 2005 1:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: 1-star?

The photo is cropped to a 640x480 region of interest from an original that I took at 2 megapixels, which is the highest resolution I could take with my old camera. It's also been sharpened somewhat (which, incidentally, tends to accentuate the high frequency noise associated with compression artifacts). The picture was taken using a 3x optical zoom, which is also the maximum I could take with that camera. In short, I can't do much better with the photo equipment I carry on climbs (beyond using less compression on the camera--I'll do so in future if I remember).



But if someone wants to head up there and take a picture with a better camera, I'll quite happily delete this one in favour of the nicer photo. In the meantime, I needed an overview shot of Gray Peak, and this is the best one I had when submitting the page.



As far as a 1-star vote goes, I've noticed that people are far more likely to vote (and vote high) on pretty pictures than beta shots, which pretty much says everything you need to know about how seriously SP voting should be taken. I find this all quite amusing.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3