Grays Peak Solo Winter Ascent

Grays Peak Solo Winter Ascent

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 39.63374°N / 105.81762°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jan 7, 2008
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter

Mountain Mojo...Breakfast of Champions

This trip didn't just start at the trailhead, it wasn't that simple. This silly solo excursion sort of began last year...

What silliness lurks behind the eyes of a stir crazy mountaineer with cabin fever. Silly come desperate flight (or is that flee) to the mountains. Broke my right index finger while performing my own personal rendition of "mountain biker la boheme, the perfect endo," last spring. Had to drop out of all my college classes I was taking that were preparing me to take on my much anticipated mid-life crises. I'm almost 40 and I just recently figured out that I wanna go to medical school, ugh. So anyway, here I am last spring, scholastically challenged, so what does a bored, heart broken, O.C.D. child do to fight back the deluge of disappointment...remodel the basement into a gameroom baby. So for the past 9 months I've been a slave to the Home Depot credit card, and a bonifide "do-it-yourself" workbook junky. But all work and calluses aside, by the time I finally smelled the crispy mtn. snowflakes and crawled outta the basement, last years spring, summer, and fall had passed by without a single climb. So to bring in the new climbing year, a big year of change for me perhaps, I felt I needed a 14,270ft zen moment all to myself. Thus was born the half baked idea to winter solo Grays Peak and be on the summit just in time to watch the sunrise over the eastern slope. Yes, it was cold. Yes, I was hella tired. Yes, I prayed to the mtn. avy gods to spare me. But oh yes, the spectacle was awe inspiring. This was my first mtn. top sunrise and I give it two enthusiastic thumbs up. Happy New Year Everyone @ Summitpost, and may you all have a safe and awe inspiring year. Follow Your Bliss.
PS. Thats Mt. Evans blocking my shot of Denver, hint-hint.
User Profile Image


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.