Great Scott Traverse NE Route

Great Scott Traverse NE Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.43960°N / 121.4429°W
Additional Information Route Type: Basic Snow Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: PD/WS
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


On skis or a snoboard during winter months, take chair 2 at Alpental Ski Resort. Traverse left acrossed Upper International, from there enter the upper backcountry gate.

Route Description


Hike/traverse left acrossed Sharon Bowl. During winter months the edge of the bowl is marked by a ski patrol rescue sled. From edge of bowl climb west on mountain up 50-60 degree pitches that are seperated by a small flat section. Both pitches are quite steep and full of soft snow but can be done without ice axes or climbing boots due to the amount of soft snow and a couple conveniently placed trees. At the top of the second pitch, follow ridge line up for 1/4 mile to summit. Large cornices and cliffs border each side of summit so stay to the middle.

Essential Gear


Climb can be done in snoboard boots (my father and I have done it many times) but is hard on feet. Shovel and rope could be handy for heavy snow days. Ice axes are always handy. Bring skis/snoboard for a great ride down.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.