Grosser Happ Comments

Viewing: 1-20 of 23
12
wuedesau

wuedesau - Sep 7, 2007 4:43 am - Voted 10/10

Mountain Name

Hello Bor,
please correct the mountain name to Grosser Happ.
Cheers, Klaus

Bor

Bor - Sep 7, 2007 4:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Mountain Name

Ok I can coreect it but I am sure that it is written on the map Grosses Happ. I am looking it right now. So what to do? :)

And it is also Kleines Happ so I think it is not a mistake.

Andrej Mašera

Andrej Mašera - Sep 7, 2007 7:06 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Mountain Name

Grosser and Kleiner Happ is surely correct. Look at the Oe Karte 151 Krimml! The gender of these summits is masculine.
Cheers, Andrej

wuedesau

wuedesau - Sep 7, 2007 9:32 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Mountain Name

Probably the map is wrong. Which map did you use?

Bor

Bor - Sep 7, 2007 2:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Mountain Name

I am using the Alpenvereinskarte (Map of the german/austrian alpine club) 1:25.000 Nr. 36 Venedigergruppe. And I am looking it now and it is written Grosses Happ. :) Hehe

Ski Mountaineer

Ski Mountaineer - Sep 7, 2007 2:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Mountain Name

The BEV is the official institution for giving names to mountains and elevations. Their maps says Grosser Happ. In doubt stick with the official name. However, I guess Großes Happ is used too at times, so I would suggest "Grosser (Grosses) Happ".

Bor

Bor - Sep 7, 2007 2:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Mountain Name

Ok I will write it like you suggest!

Thanks!

wuedesau

wuedesau - Sep 7, 2007 3:37 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Mountain Name

I have noticed that on the Alpenvereinskarte the neutral form Grosses Happ is used which sounds really strange. So I became curious and looked it up in the yearbook of the Alpenverein. In 1999 the featured mapping area of the yearbook was Großvenediger with the map (and Großes Happ) attached to the book. I read the description about the Venediger area and here the familiar masculine form (Großer Happ) was used. I have never heard Grosses Happ before although I have been in that area many times.
I am therefore convinced that you found a mistake in the map.

Bor

Bor - Sep 8, 2007 2:34 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Mountain Name

Ok I will repair the names in masculine. Thanks! :)

ganesh70

ganesh70 - Sep 7, 2007 11:40 am - Voted 10/10

From...

...the Montasio group to the Dolomites and then the austrian glaciers. My compliments!
Fabrizio

Bor

Bor - Sep 7, 2007 2:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: From...

Hehe thanks! :)

Cheers!

mvs

mvs - Sep 7, 2007 7:16 pm - Voted 10/10

beautiful mountain

I like it a lot, seems like you had fresh snow up high on your climb too. But on the page you have checked that it is a mountain that offers "big wall" rock climbing, mixed climbing, ice climbing. Does the peak offer such technical possibilities?

Bor

Bor - Sep 8, 2007 2:36 am - Hasn't voted

Re: beautiful mountain

Thanks! Yes it has a big east wall but I don`t know for the routes there. The rock climbing, ice climbing and mixed climbing are also included in normal approach over the west side.

mvs

mvs - Sep 8, 2007 3:03 am - Voted 10/10

Re: beautiful mountain

Wow, sounds like an amazing mountain then. thanks!

Bor

Bor - Sep 8, 2007 3:13 am - Hasn't voted

Re: beautiful mountain

Yes it is. And for me is more impressive that there are I think 2-3 visits to its summit per year. For example: When we were there we went on Grosser Geiger which is far more popular mountain then Grosser Happ and it is its neighbour. With my father had a great tour (long approach, almost 2000 meters of altitude, nasty glacier with full of crevasses below the new snow, no trace, medium hard climbing on the ridge). When we came to the south ridge of Grosser Geiger we saw huge crowds on the Grossvenediger but we were alone on the powerful mountain like Grosser Geiger. These are for me the most important things in the mountains. No massive crowds, beauty and adventure. :)

Cheers!

mvs

mvs - Sep 8, 2007 4:39 am - Voted 10/10

Re: beautiful mountain

You are right. People think the alps are crowded but there are so many "forgotten" mountains like this one. Way to go finding your own! Thanks for pointing this one out. Maybe now instead of 2-3 visits a year, there will be 6-7 :-).

Bor

Bor - Sep 8, 2007 4:52 am - Hasn't voted

Re: beautiful mountain

Hehe :) And I am happy that there are forgotten places. :) For example my last visit was in Dolomites, around Drei Zinnen, going on family trip with some friends. I cannnot believe how many people. And I hope that the massive crowds will stay on the most popular location. :)

Cheers!

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Sep 8, 2007 4:52 am - Voted 10/10

Very impressive!

You ascended allmost all mountains around Essener-Rostocker hut. That's great!

Regarding skiing you are right that skiing from the top is an alpinistic endeavor. But you can add that skiing from the highest point on the glacier is a usual, moderately hard ski tour. I have it described in one of my books (Leo Baumgartner: Schitouren),

Cheers!

Bor

Bor - Sep 8, 2007 4:57 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Very impressive!

Thanks! Vid do you have in mind skiing from the notch between Grosser Geiger and Grosser Happ or skiing from the highest point on the glacier below the short west face of Grosser Happ?

Cheers!

P.S. Bring this book if you keep in mind in Kranjska Gora. I am always happy to check that kind of books.

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Sep 8, 2007 5:49 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Very impressive!

The description says: "From the hut over the bridge on Maurerbach. From there, there are two possibilities. Forwards towards Tuermljoch and behind Kleiner Geiger (2816m) near the rocky tower on the glacier and towards the north. The second option is directly by a narrow shoulder (ridge) - towards NE - and on the glacier. The summit ascent then without skis."

The description is very short and not exact enough, but on a simple accompanying map it is seen as if the ski approach would come directly from the south.

Viewing: 1-20 of 23
12
Return to 'Grosser Happ' main page