Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Nov 22, 2006 5:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Misplaced?

I've noticed you posted this first as a Mountain/Rock and now as an Area/Range. The Grand Canyon, yes, is vast enough to count as an area, but this place doesn't seem to be anywhere near the scale of the Grand Canyon. Mountains and areas get more points than canyons do, and I hope that's not the reason for this placement.

Added, and hopefully seen before any reply-- it's in all other respects a great page.

Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Nov 22, 2006 5:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Misplaced?

You are a joke, this coming from a guy who adds nothing but photos from the road, of which most of us have tons of the same in our own photo collection. SUMMIT POST IS PRIMARILY A CLIMBING BETA SITE...that is all some of us want to contribute because that is what we do. Grotto Canyon has over 250 routes , both rock and ice, that make it a fucking climbing AREA. It has 20 separate walls with completely different climbing features and rock. I chose to add huge sport areas as just that, AREAS, and then add the WALLS to the CRAG section. And as always, I only add shit I have actually climbed. There is no way in hell I am going to add each route to the ROUTES section although I am sure someone who takes a million photos of flowers driving up and down the Blue Ridge Highway would do that on Summitpost. Do something real and get out and fucking climb something and then contribute it to summit post, even if it is 5.6 or WI 2, it would be much more entertaining then all the fucking photos you take from the road. Or better yet, do the work and effort it takes to actually "write" contributions versus just adding photos.

ps...Canyoneering, as Scott Patterson can tell you is a hell of a lot different sport than sport or trad climbing, not that you would know what any of this shit means. For some of us who are more technically inclined, that is what the canyon section should be for, but to each his own. I am sure visiting the Grand Canyon is a big accomplishment in your book.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Nov 22, 2006 6:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Misplaced?

Seems we touched a nerve-- my, my. And it's too bad you think SP shouldn't have variety; many people differ with you. Anyway, I won't defend each attack; it isn't worth it. All I will say is that I have climbed plenty, have contibuted many photos from climbs, and have made climbing-related pages and other submissions. A little looking around would confirm that. You have climbed much more than I have, yes, but your characterizations are greatly exaggerated.

You seem to have missed the point, and your argument doesn't convince me, but this doesn't seem likely to be a productive conversation. As you said, to each his own.

Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Nov 22, 2006 7:01 pm - Hasn't voted

BS

Why edit your comments? Looks bad to be an ass, incite a response and then edit your original post so the responder looks like the ass. Might work on your students who might or might not be able to deal with your manipulation tactics, but don't try and swing that one past me.

--- On Wed Nov 22, 2006 06:39:20 PM BSIHLER wrote:---
> Although I take exception to many of your remarks, I did
> not and do not wish to start some electronic war of words,
> so I have sent PM to explain a couple things.
>
> First, it was ill-advised to make the points comment. I
> did not actually think you were after that, considering all
> your submissions, and what I meant was just that there was
> that appearance, but I didn't make that clear. I will edit
> that part from the original comment.
>
> Second, you may not like what I submit, and that's fine,
> but I'm not looking to make enemies on SP; it would be
> pretty silly and pointless to do so. I did not intend to
> get you so pissed, but I guess I struck a nerve.
>
> So on my end at least, there's no intent to get into some
> back-and-forth dispute. I apologize for the bad wording in
> my comment but not the spirit of the comment itself. I hope
> you can understand and respect that even if you don't agree
> with it.
>
> Bob

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Nov 22, 2006 7:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: BS

To others: Dow made my PM, which I sent in good faith, public, and you can judge for yourself my motives or nature. In accordance with his wishes, I restored the original comment, which was ill-advised, yes, but not meant to cause such anger.

cascadetraveler

cascadetraveler - Nov 23, 2006 6:06 pm - Voted 10/10

I like Action!

Action shots are great, I enjoyed the page. Many more happy climbing days ahead....... Cheers from larry.

Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Nov 23, 2006 6:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I like Action!

Thanks Larry, always frustrated when folks who have no SINCERE interest in climbing beta want to downvote or bitch about it....we need more climbing contributions vs tourist shots in my opinion. It is hard enough to get good climbers to take the time to contribute the way it is.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Grotto Canyon Rock Climbs' main page