Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.03769°N / 120.31296°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7741 ft / 2359 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Guide Peak is visible from various areas around the Tahoe area and is near the PCT.  It stands out as a little hump between Loon Lake and the pacific crest.  While certainly not the highest or most distinctive peak, it captures a lot of what the Sierra's have to offer-beautiful views, a unique approach and lots of granite.  The top feels much like Pyramid peak in Desolation with talus hopping to a beautiful summit. 

Getting There

There are no formal hiking trails to this peak.  I found the easiest way to climb it was to mountain bike the Rubicon trail, then hop on a fire road until it seemed I could avoid the most Manzanita bushwacking.  The Rubicon trail is a famous offroad motorized vehicle road, so while it can be annoying to have to deal with the noisy engines, it wasn't that big of a deal as I passed them on my bike.  For those who like slick rock in Moab, the granite slabs on the rubicon trail are reminiscent of that.  You can certainly hike this as well, but mountain biking is faster and more enjoyable. 

Take highway 50 to Ice House Rd and follow directions to Loon Lake. Park at the Rubicon trailhead at the Northern aspect of Loon lake.

Route

Click on 'view route on map' for the GPS route.  From the Rubicon trailhead, walk/bike the Rubicon trail for about 2.2 miles until you cross over a bridge where you come to bathrooms and a fire road on your left.  Go up the fire road for about 1.5 miles passing Guide peak on your right until the road begins looping West. Pick any spot to start hiking through the Forest.  You can mostly avoid the annoying Manzanita. Ascend to the ridge and start heading towards the granite.  Climb between granite slabs until you reach talus and then talus hop to the summit.  Most of route is class 2 with perhaps short and likely avoidable class 3 sections.  It took me 1 hour 45 min to summit from trailhead.  Return the same way you came.

Red Tape

No permits required.  

When to Climb

Early summer will likely find snow making it impassible. This is mainly a mid to late summer mountain and maybe early fall before the snow.

Camping

This is a day trip but camping at Loon lake is pleasant. 

External Links