Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.93955°N / 105.64925°W
Additional Information County: Boulder
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11200 ft / 3414 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Guinn Mountain is a mellow, moderately flat-topped 11,200-foot mountain near the Indian Peaks and east of the Continental Divide in Colorado’s Front Range. Near the summit is the Colorado Mountain Club’s Arestura Hut, which marks the terminus of a popular area Nordic ski trail, so the way to the top portion of the mountain is well-traveled and easy to follow in any season. In the summer months, the summit is nearly passed over by a pack trail that leads from the end of Jenny Creek Road toward Rollins Pass.
Trail Near Summit

The mountain is listed at several elevations with a wandering summit, according to many maps. A measurement was taken from the southern section of the tundra cap at 11,119 feet or 11,118 feet, depending on what map you use. National Geographic Topo shows contours suggesting the true summit is in the north, where the mountain rises to a peak at over 11,200 feet.

Getting There

To find the eastern trailhead for Guinn Mountain, take Hwy 119 from Boulder to the town of Nederland. Follow signs to Eldora Ski Area (not Eldora the town proper) and park just before the ski area gate at the Jenny Creek Trailhead. From here the summit is roughly 5 miles one-way. One could also use Jenny Creek Road in the summer to access the pack trail and Rollin Pass. The mountain would make a reasonable summit detour if making a west-to-east crossing at Rollins Pass.
Guinn Mountain Tundra Cap

Red Tape

There is no red tape to speak of. Eldora Ski Area allows access to Jenny Creek via a kind of ski trail that runs between their nordic center system and the first ski lift right of the nordic center. If you need help finding this public right-of-way, ask at the nordic center house.

The land is National Forest, and borders the Indian Peaks Wilderness. If out for a longer tour of this area, please know the rules and regulations governing the Indian Peaks Wilderness.

Camping

Camping can be had a various area sites in the national forest and IPW. A permit is required in IPW during the summer months. Please refer to each agency about rules and regulations. Unimproved camping can be had in the national forest following disbursed camping rules. Bedding down at the hut is first-come-first served, so be aware that weekenders do fill it in all seasons. Staying at the hut is subject to national forest rules and those set forth by the Boulder Group of the Colorado Mountain Club. Overnight hut use (as of 2009) is $2, and can be stuffed in a lock box at the hut.
Arestura Hut

Inside Hut


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.