Guye Peak, Christmas Eve

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Dec 24, 2004
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter

Guye Peak, Barely



Dean and I slogged up Guye Peak this morning. What was usually a 3 hour round trip turned into a humbling 3 hour ascent, 30 minute break, and 45 minute descent. The weather was good, the snow was in fair shape for most of the trail, but we weren’t. The last time we’d done anything was last Thanksgiving morning, so to say we were hurting by the time we reached the summit would be an understatement.

Typical early start, and a bit of routefinding to get moving… just kept heading uphill. Reaching the snow-covered talus field, we turned to watch the progress of the sunrise across the valley on the slopes of Alpental and Chair Peak. Simply gorgeous. Keep on truckin’ - don’t waste time… Reaching the saddle, we turned south and hit the frozen pond. That’s one of the benefits of winter excursions in the Cascades, the whole no-bugs thing…

Up over a few more ridges, and then finally - on top. We were just about bonking, so we took our time up there and then hustled down with crampons in place and poles at the ready. There was a lot to get done today, but it was nice to start out the holiday with a little mileage behind us on Christmas Eve.

(I know, I need to fix the date on that movie intro…)

http://www.altitudeslickness.com/2004/12/24/guye-peak-barely/

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Guye PeakTrip Reports