Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 2, 2011
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter

North Ridge

This was the third climbing outing for the BOEALPS Basic Climbing Class. The weather was not in a cooperative mood, raining for several days’ pervious and dumping wet snow as we drive to the West Summit Snoqualmie parking lot, but we went anyways. There were about 4 inches of recent snow and more accumulated all day. We walked a bit down the road to Alpental and turned off into Commonwealth Basin just after the stream. In retrospect, we should have followed the PCT and used the bridge to cross the stream near the upper slopes of the basin, but our instructors decided not to mention this detail during our trip planning.

The snow was deep, sticky and very slow going since we were not using snow shoes. We followed our route around the east side of the mountain and up to the saddle. The ridge line to the northern summit of Guye was a mix of deep powder and hard ice. It took us about 6 hours to reach the summit, but that included several long stops as we navigated through the basin with a map and compass. The summit featured some pretty sketchy looking cornices, so be cautious. We didn’t have time to traverse to the other summits, as our turnaround time was approaching.

We descended the route we climbed and made it down in good tome for some food and drinks in North Bend.

Gear:
Mountaineering Boots
Gaiters
Ice Axe
Rope- Didn’t use
Pickets- Didn’t use

If you’re going, bring snowshoes and check the Summit at Snoqualmie webcams before leaving home.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Guye PeakTrip Reports