Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 31.84170°N / 108.4534°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6639 ft / 2024 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hachita Peak is the highest point in the Little Hatchet Mountains. This small mountain range is located on BLM land in the southwest corner of New Mexico, about eight miles southwest of the town of Hachita. From a distance, the Little Hatchets appear to be nothing more than a few small hills located out in the middle of nowhere. With Big Hatchet Peak on one side, and Animas Peak on the other, the Little Hatchets almost seem to fade away into insignificance against the desert landscape. But the new field of Prominence has made Hachita Peak a more important mountain. With a prominence of 2,139’, it's just big enough to make an appearance on the New Mexico Prominence Map.

Getting There

From the small town of Hachita, drive west on New Mexico Highway 9 for about two miles. Turn left at the green Little Hatchet Mountain street sign. Drive about nine miles southwest on a good dirt road to a small pass at 5,150’. Park here. There is a primitive road that heads up the mountain here.

Mountain Conditions

Contact the BLM Las Cruces District Office for the latest information. Their number is 505-525-4300.

BLM Map: Animas Quad
Topo Map: Hachita Peak

Camping

There are no developed campgrounds in this area.

External Links

  • New Mexico Prominence Map




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.