Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.15066°N / 117.91158°W
Additional Information County: Inyo
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5952 ft / 1814 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Haiwee Reservoir and southeastern Sierra scarpHaiwee Reservoir and Southern Sierra from Haiwee Ridge
Haiwee Ridge (aka Jurassic Peak) is the north/south ridge running just east the southern part of Haiwee Reservoir in the Coso Range east of the Southern Sierra about 10 miles south of the town of Olancha. This peak rises out of desert terrain high enough to support Joshua trees.
Haiwee Reservoir was once a meadow inhabited by pidgeons that the Piute Indians called "Haiwai" their word for "dove".

This is a fun half day class 2-3 scramble with outstanding views of the southern Sierra scarp especially Olancha Peak and also Haiwee Reservoir below.

Getting There

Road to the ridgeRoad to Haiwee Ridge
From Olancha take Hwy. 395 south 2 miles and turn east on Cactus Flat Road.
The first 1.5 miles are paved the rest is dirt. Go 7.2 miles from Hwy 395 and take the right fork (main road) 2.4 miles to a smaller road going south. Turn right and go another 2.5 miles to a dirt track road heading west then south to the saddle (4,993') and park. Walk up .6 miles west to another saddle south of the ridge and hike a mile (with some scrambling) to the peak.
This is about 1,000' gain and less than 4 miles round trip.

2 wheel drive high clearance recomended but I found this last 2.5 mile section sketchy with sand in the high clearance van and decided to park about a mile back from the saddle and go straight up the steep east slope then south to the summit which was a fun route with 1,100 ' gain and less than 2 miles round trip.

Red Tape

Haiwee Ridge south viewHaiwee Ridge south
This is Bureau of Land Management territory and there are no posted restrictions.
Haiwee Reservoir itself has been closed to the public as of 2005.

Camping

Haiwee Ridge north viewHaiwee Ridge north
Haiwee Ridge east slope view southSteep east slope
There are no campgrounds in the area but car camping shouldn't be a problem.

Current weather and 5 day forecast

Click here for the weather and forecast for Olancha

More on hiking desert peaks

Desert Summits by Andy Zdon is the book on hiking desert mountains in California and Southern Nevada