Halloween on Mt. Elbert

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 31, 2008
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall

Late fall success on Mt. Elbert

Attempted and completed state highpoint #7 for me on 31 October. Got to Leadville on Thursday, the 30th to scout out both the north and south trailheads and approaches. Colorado had a very late and persistent Indian summer; snow cover was minimal and temperatures were mild. I elected the south trail (technically called the Southeast Ridge), and got a 3:30 a.m. start from the motel. I reached the upper trailhead and started the climb at 4:40 a.m , using a headlamp.
Trailfinding was tough in the dark, but not impossible, and I made it above treeline by dawn. That still left about 1. 5 miles and more than 2000 vertical feet to the summit. Mt. Elbert is one big rock pile. I first glimpsed the summit pole at about 10 a.m., but did not reach it until 11:15. It was a beautiful day for a walk in the Rockies, and I am fortunate that this rather expensive trip west paid off in a successful summit, especially this late in the year.

Descending is one long slog, tough on the knees. If you attempt this trail, try to reach the upper trailhead via the jeep road. I was fortunate that the road was passable, (by 4-wheel drive) because it cuts 4 miles and 800 vertical feet off the round trip hike.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
cftbq

cftbq - Nov 13, 2008 6:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Congratulations!

A nice way to do Elbert; it had to have been good and cold starting out.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1