Happy Cracks 5.8, 1 pitch

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.90430°N / 78.9692°W
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Happy Cracks is a traditional or toprope one pitch route. It is 40 feet long, and is a double crack system just left of the middle of the whole wall. There is a pine tree at the top of the climb that can be used to toprope from. To the right of this wall is a more difficult route known as Unhappy Cracks. This rock is made from granite gneiss and is great quality. This is a 5.8, 1 pitch route.

Other route on this wall go from a 5.7 to a 5.13a.

Getting There

Blackrock Park in Wintergreen Resort, Virginia.

Go down the Blackrock Park trail for about 15 minutes from the parking lot and then turn right, which is off the main trail. This area is just around the corner below and right of the Beginner Slab. (When NOT facing the rock).
First Day Climbing!The first part of the route is an overhang that is beyond vertical. However, there are many great places for handjams.
Crack ClimbingGrant leading up to place the toprope on the pine tree above the route.
Happy Cracks at BlackrocksI am nearing the top of the route.
User Profile ImageGreat handjams and nice solid rock.
Having some difficultiesOne of the more difficult parts for me, yet a very fun and classic climb.

Red Tape

Blackrock Park in which The Cracks is located is in Wintergreen Resort, so it is on private land. Keep a low profile, and sometimes local guide services many already be occupying the rock. Other than that, there are no restrictions.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.