Harzeh Kooh

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.05194°N / 51.54430°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 14003 ft / 4268 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Click for Introduction to the Central Alborz Mountains

Click for Introduction to Kholeno Massif.

Click for a detailed map of the Central Alborz Mountains.

Click for a detailed map of the Kholeno Massif.
Harzeh KoohNorth slopes of Harzeh Kooh

BorjBorj
Kherschal/AzadKhers Chal

Harzeh Kooh rises on the corner of an L-Shaped ridgeline in the Central Alborz Mountains of northern Iran south of the 4387 m Mt. Kholeno the Great. To the northeast, Harzeh Kooh connects to the 4325 m Borj Peak and to the west/northwest, it is connected to the 4253 m Khers Chal Peak. The southern slopes of Harzeh Kooh go down to a 3910 m saddle before connecting to the 4210 m Sarakchal Peak.
From Kholeno LakeFrom Kholeno Lake

Below Kholeno LakeVarnegh Rood River
Kholeno LakeKholeno Lake

To the northwest of Harzeh Kooh, you will find a large snow-filled alpine cirque that is bound by the steep slopes of the L-Shaped ridgeline. The cirque is gently sloped and ranges in elevation from 3800 to 4100 m. In late spring, melt water from the surrounding snow fields creates a seasonal lake known as Kholeno Lake. The lake sits at an elevation of 3830 m and gives rise to one of the branches of the Varengeh Rood River.
Kholeno LakeKholeno Lake

The shortest way to the summit of Harzeh Kooh is via the village of Laloon (2400 m) to the southeast. From Laloon, you will hike to the 3910 m Varzab Saddle and then go past Point 4018 m to reach the summit of Harzeh Kooh. This round trip can be done in one to one and a half days. A much longer but much more scenic approach is via the Varengeh Rood River Valley to the northwest. You will start at the Varengeh Rood Village (2450 m) and then hike 21.5 Km (13.3 miles) along the length of the Varengeh Rood River to reach the Kholeno Lake (3830 m) where you will find a perfect spot to set up your base camp (The hike will take you past the remains of monstrously large winter avalanches and provide you with spectacular views of snow-capped peaks and alpine meadows). From your base camp, you will then be able to access many of the local peaks.





Harzeh & KoloonHarzeh & Koloon
Koloon BastakKoloon Bastak
KholenoKholeno
SarakchalSarakchal


Route Information

The starting point for this route is the summit of the Khers Chal Peak. Click here to the see the page for the route to Khers Chal.

From the summit of Khers Chal, follow the ridgetop east/southeast a few tens of vertical meters down to a low point and then up again to the top of Harzeh Kooh. Hiking distance per my GPS is just below one kilometer.

A few Pictures from Varengeh Rood River Valley
Varengeh Rood ValleyVarengeh Rood Valley






Varengeh Rood
Varengeh Rood
Varengeh Rood







Varengeh Rood
Varengeh Rood
Upper Valley
Upper Valley







Varengeh Rood
Varengeh Rood

Getting There

Directions to Varengeh Rood Village:
From downtown Tehran drive the Tehran-Karaj Freeway 40 Km west to the town of Karaj and take the Chalus Road exit. Drive the Chalus Road up the mountains roughly 70 Km till the junction of the road that goes to Dizin Ski Area (2250 m). Turn onto this road and follow it a few Km till you see a side road on the left that goes to Varengeh Rood Village (2325 m). Turn onto this road and follow it a few Km till the end of it at the village (2450 m).


Directions for Laloon Village:
From northeastern Tehran, take the Babai expressway east and then take the Lashgarak expressway north up to Ghoochak Pass (1950 m). Follow the road north down the many switchbacks to the bottom of the Jajrood River Valley (1700 m). Drive 20 Km north to the main square in the village of Fasham (1950 m). Left (west) will take you to the ski resorts of Shemshak and Dizin. Turn right (east) and drive 7 Km to the village of Zaygan (2250 m) and then turn left (north) and drive a side road about 4 Km to the village of Laloon (2400 m).

Red Tape

No fees or permits required.

Camping

Anywhere.