Viewing: 1-4 of 4
SLinehan88

SLinehan88 - Jul 26, 2010 7:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Hazelton mix up

I have noticed that the geological map labels the hazelton peaks oppositely from what is done here. Also, if you look at the geological survey map, the one labeled "pyramid" has a much more distinct pyramidal form than the one labeled "peak." What source are you using for this page?

D-bo

D-bo - Jul 27, 2010 4:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Hazelton mix up

This confusion has already been addressed on the page in the maps section. I agree with you that the peak highlighted on this page looks more like a pyramid than the other one. But, the order that it stands now is from the USGS maps that you order from the USGS online store. Most people take these maps into the field. I believe it is likely that either source could be wrong. In reality, its just a name and this is just a website. I'll change it when either the USGS maps change, or a local with first hand knowledge could confirm that they are backwards. But, thanks for raising the concern. I'll continue to be on the lookout for more information.

SLinehan88

SLinehan88 - Jul 31, 2010 3:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Hazelton mix up

I use the 7.5 minute maps from the USGS and they label the peaks as I believe is correct.

D-bo

D-bo - Aug 2, 2010 9:21 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Hazelton mix up

Aha! That's got to be the problem. I have a 1:100,000 series map that has this peak labeled as Hazelton Peak. The guidebook I referenced also must have used the 1:100,000 series because it also calls this mountain Hazelton Peak. Those who source the 1:24,000 series probably have this named as Hazelton Pyramid. I'm assuming you have one of those. This would explain the mix up. I was hoping this would eventually get cleared up. I'll bet the 1:24,000 series is the right way, because as we have both noticed, this mountain has a much more distinct pyramid shape than the other one. Thanks for the help. I'll get the name changed on this page.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Hazelton Pyramid' main page