Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.31960°N / 112.7499°W
Additional Information Elevation: 10422 ft / 3177 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Heart Mountain is the last major peak in the middle prong of the southern end of the Beaverhead Mountains. Other divides of the range head along Birch Creek to Copper Mountain, and another east to Garfield Mountain and Red Conglomerate Peaks.

Looking southwest from the...Looking to the southwest on a beautiful morning.


Overshadowed by its bigger neighbor, Scott Peak to the north, Heart Mountain is largely overlooked as a climbing objective. However, the valleys and highlands surrounding the peak are visited by other outdoorsmen. Heart Mountain is a prime spot to view Scott peak and points south, as well as the Lemhi crest from Saddle Mountain to Portland Mountain.

View the original data sheet of the Heart Mtn benchmark.




Getting There

Heart Mountain is accessible from ID-22, 18 miles west of Dubois, Idaho, exit 167 on I-15. Take the signed Warm Springs Road north, about 1.5 miles west of the Thermocal Mines facility. (Directions from Howe to the west.)

After entering the National Forest boundary, roads are generally deeply rutted and high clearance vehicles are recommended unless you have mastered the art of rut straddling in sedans.

Approach directions:
From ID-22 to South Ridge.
From ID-22 to North Ridge (Myers Creek).


Red Tape

No permits are required. Keep vehicles on designated roadways.

Contact the Caribou-Targhee National Forest Dubois Ranger District for more information.


Heart Canyon's east wall from the south ridge.

When To Climb

Being in the rain shadow of three major ranges, this area is one of the driest in the state, snowfall is lighter and the climbing season is longer.

Best accesibility is usually from May to early November. If you can get to the trailhead you can climb this peak as snows usually linger in the shadowy canyons, while they are baked off by the sun on the south slopes.

Camping

There are some nearby campgrounds maintained by the Dubois Ranger District.

The closest lodging is available in Dubois, ID.

Mountain Conditions

NOAA Point Forecast.
Regional Graphical Forecast.

Contact the Caribou-Targhee National Forest Dubois Ranger District for more information.




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Beaverhead MountainsMountains & Rocks