Hell's Kitchen Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.17900°N / 119.455°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start from the Pyramid Lake beach 1/2 mile north of the mouth of Hell's Kitchen Canyon. If the driving directions on the main page are followed, you will have exhausted the road and will be parked on beach gravel among medium-sized boulders.

Route Description


Hike up the sandbars into Hell's Kitchen Canyon and follow the game trails along the north side of the creekbed. Follow the path of least resistance when negotiating foliage near a spring system, and continue up the creekbed until a major fork is reached (about 3.5 miles in). Leave the creekbed and follow the slope between the two forks directly towards the summit. Soon large talus covered by brush is reached --- stay to the left of the cliffs, but to the right of the summit until you reach the crest. Turn left, climb up the rocks to the high point, and look for the summit can near the cairn.

Essential Gear


Stiff high-top style shoes or boots are recommended along with a good sun hat. Some brush is encountered on this hike, so pants are recommended. For winter climbs, snow would demand gaiters. The Great Basin gets little moisture, but very cold temps and plenty of wind in the winter --- dress accordingly.

Water is critical in this part of the country no matter how short the hike is! This peak offers few or no sources of water replenishment.

Don't underestimate the time it takes to hike cross-country in the desert --- you will not make the 3mph+ speed that Sierra trails allow.





Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.