Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.64840°N / 105.4388°W
Additional Information County: Clear Creek
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10086 ft / 3074 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Summit AreaHicks Mountain Summit Area


If you want a nifty, lower peak with fantastic views and that is quite close to Denver, Hicks Mountain might just be what you are looking for. The vistas of the Mount Evans Group from the rocky top of this little peak are pretty darn impressive. This mountain makes an excellent snowshoe; most of the route is on-path, but a short piece of off-trail tree-whacking should yield cushy powder after a recent snowfall. Go ahead and hike up here on a sunny winter day, enjoy some Rumplemintz hot chocolate at the summit and take in the scenery, then be back home on the Front Range in time to run errands or relax with friends and family.

Colorado Rank: Unranked
Prominence: 266 feet
USGS Quad: Squaw Pass
Recreational Map: Trails Illustrated #104 Idaho Springs | Georgetown | Loveland Pass

Rank & Prominence: Lists of John

Profile photo by Jeremy Hakes.

Getting There

Happy doggieHappy Doggie


Hicks Mountain resides about 25 miles west-southwest of the center of Denver, Colorado. The easiest access to the peak is from Hwy 103 (Squaw Pass Road).

Driving from Denver
• Follow I-70 west to Exit #252, which is CO 74 (Evergreen Parkway).
• Take Evergreen Parkway for roughly 3 miles to Hwy 103 (Squaw Pass Road).
• Turn right on Squaw Pass Road.
• Follow Squaw Pass Road westbound for about 7-ish miles to the intersection with Clear Creek County Highway 475. Parking is on the right/north side of the road.

Red Tape

IcicleIcicle


This area is a strange patchwork of National Forest lands, Denver Mountain Parks land and private property. Certain paths and old roadways, however, seem to be respected recreational rights-of-way. Please help ensure future access to these trails by behaving yourself. There is no fee visit this area and permits are not required for parking or foot travel.

Please follow LNT (Leave No Trace) principles:

1. Plan Ahead and Prepare
2. Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
3. Dispose of Waste Properly
4. Leave What You Find
5. Minimize Campfire Impacts
6. Respect Wildlife
7. Be Considerate of Other Visitors


Fresh December snow en route to Hicks Mountain


Fresh Snow
Fresh Snow
Fresh Snow

Camping & Lodging

Mount JudgeMount Judge


Echo Lake Campground
The Echo Lake campground is less than ten miles from Hicks Mountain via CO Hwy 103. It is a small, relatively high elevation campground at 10,600 feet elevation with only 18 sites and is open seasonally from (roughly) late May through mid-September.

Georgetown
The community of Georgetown has a few lodging options, mostly of the simple, family-run variety. Visit the Trip Advisor Georgetown Page for more information on lodging in this town.

Idaho Springs
Like Georgetown, nearby Idaho Springs has a few simple, family-run lodging options. Visit the Trip Advisor Idaho Springs Page for more information on lodging in this town.







Summit Views (a)
Summit Views (b)
Summit Views (c)
Summit Views (d)


Summit Views!

Weather & Seasons

Find more about Weather in Golden, CO
Click for weather forecast
Hicks Mountain is a year-round peak for most folks in descent shape. Heavy snows in winter and spring could result in temporary closure of Hwy 103. Expect very dense crowds along the Hwy 103 / Hwy 5 corridor in the summer.
Find more about Weather in Golden, CO
Click for weather forecast

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
h2onet

h2onet - Oct 17, 2014 4:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Distance, trailhead location and street name

The distance from Evergreen Pkwy is 6.3 miles. The sign at the intersection says "Witter Gulch Rd", and even though that is Clear Creek County Highway 475, there is no indications of that number. The trailhead is across the street from the parking lot and about 50-100 feet down Witter Gulch Rd. on the right, just beyond the first of a few dilapidated cabins.

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Oct 27, 2014 1:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Distance, trailhead location and street name

Great details for the route page. Please move your comment there instead. http://www.summitpost.org/from-squaw-pass-road/813114 Cheers, Sarah

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.