Hidden Canyon Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.27118°N / 112.93748°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

Cable Mountain from Observation PointRed - Hidden Canyon Trail
Green - East Rim Trail

Heading out over the small bridge from Weeping Rock Trailhead, Hidden Canyon Trail shares its narrow paved pathway (erosion control) with East Rim Trail for a short distance. The switchbacks here will eat up about 500 vertical feet over 5/8 mile, meandering left and right until they come to a well marked intersection. Left will continue up to Observation Point, Cable Mountain, or Echo Canyon, amongst others. Right goes towards our destination, Hidden Canyon. After a short walk and more switchbacks, the trail loses its pavement in favor of sandstone, with an airy traverse (with chains if needed) carved into the side of the mountain. The views of Observation Point and Cable Mountain here are great. After traveling about 3/8 mile from the intersection you will arrive at the mouth of a hanging Hidden Canyon. The sandstone pools at the beginning of the canyon are a favorite spot of the Canyon Tree Frogs. Just past the pools there is a sign saying you have come to the end of the trail. That is where the fun beings!

Total roundtrip distance: 2 miles
Vertical feet ascended: 850

Getting There

Your hike begins and ends at the Weeping Rock Trailhead: There are two ways to access the parking area there, each dependent on the time of the year:

Weeping Rock Trailhead via your car:
This method is to be used from November until early April, when Zion National Park's public shuttles are shut down. From Springdale head north on Highway 9 beyond the park entrance, and past the visitors center (which will be on your right). Take your first public left onto Valley of the Floor Road, where you'll see signs for Zion Lodge. Drive for several miles until you see the parking lot, clearly marked on the right, on a sweeping left-hand turn.

Weeping Rock Trailhead via NPS shuttle:
This method is to be used from early April until the end of October, when it is not permissible to drive your own vehicle on Valley of the Floor Road. From Springdale head north on Highway 9 until just past the Zion National Park entrance gate. On the right you will see the visitors center with plenty of parking - park there (if full, park in town and take the bus to the visitor's center). The shuttle system runs to Weeping Rock Trailhead, and beyond, every 15-20 minutes.

Essential Gear

Although it may be very warm in the larger canyon below, Hidden Canyon can be chilly even in the summer time. If you're heading up the steep trail from the bottom only wearing shorts and a tee, you may want to bring some additional coverage for the canyon. Also, although you'll be sure to encounter standing water and wet sand once into the canyon, sturdy hiking boots are still the safest bet - you can usually climb around/over obstacles. I have known people to bring a small length of webbing to help in the downclimb of several of the rocks and boulders choking the path.

Weather

Flash flood danger here is very low, but you should always be aware of the weather and take the neccessary precautions.





Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.