Hiking in Tajikistan

Hiking in Tajikistan

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 39.61287°N / 68.87941°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 28, 2013
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring


Hiking in Tajikistan


mountain
mountains

This post is about hiking in Turkestan range in Shahristan region which is not that popular (in comparison with Pamirs and Fann mountains) among foreign visitors. I couldn't find any proper information source in English. However, it is very beautiful place with perfect opportunities for easy hiking that doesn't require a specific climbing skills and equipments. The mountain range attain heights of approx. 2,500 to 4,000 meters.






vacation house
vacation house

Getting to the Okhtangi

The canyon called Okhtangi where several comps are located. The prices of the camps diverse.

From northern part you can go there from Khujand by taking taxi that should cost ~40$ per car.

The distance from Khujand to Okhtangi is about 120 km. If you are single than you can take shared taxi to Shahristan (10$) and then taxi to Okhtangi (~10$)

From Dushanbe you can also take taxi directly to Okhtangi or shared taxi to Khujand ( 20$ per person)and take out in the entrance of canyon and then 15 km by walk.






Local People

Locals are very friendly, majority Uzbek nationality. Mainly shepherds and farmers. Btw, they make delicious yogurt. 


Locals

locals
Shepherd

locals
Kyrgyz Family

Hiking to Oykul (Lunar lake)

The lake Oykul is the final destination of majority hikers. It takes from 3 to 5 hours to reach this lake which is 3108m above sea level.


I marked camps with red X and the lake with red circle on the map. More maps can be downloaded here http://loadmap.net/en/m19349.

undefined
Lunar Lake - 3108m

undefined
Self-portrait
The view to the canyon from mountain where lake located

map
map
lake
Lunar

Telecommunications

There are several antennas of main mobile companies there (Tcell, Babilon-M, Megafon).

So, you can use mobile services and internet (3G) almost everywhere in Okhtangi.

Climbing

On map you can see that there are many peaks for climbing. The nearest and highest peak is Kurganak 4057m.

Peak over Lunar lake
probably this peak must be Kurganak

Peak
Some another peak


What else except mountains


Riuns
Ruins in Okhtangi
Graveyard
Graveyard

Shahristan is very historical place which was capital city of the Oshrusana between the 6th and 9th Centuries AD. You can find an ancient wall paintings in the cave, ruins and etc. More info here: http://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/1387/

Recently, I found out that there is ruins (before ancient) in Okhtangi that was in front of camp where i usually stay. Two years ago, several German archeologists conducted excavations there. And locals who where there told me that they found (germans) a graveyard of that village where skeleton of those people were larger than ours. You can see some bones on the edge of caves.... Also, those archeologist collected piece of meteorite rock from mountains and alloyed them in order to see the metal consistency.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any information about their expedition on internet 



Alloyed meteoroid
Alloyed meteoroid











Wildlife in Okhtangi


In winter you have a chance to meet bears, wolves and deers. While in other seasons you enjoy on mountains the singing partridges, playing ground squirrels, running rabbits, flying eagles and etc.

Ground squirrel
Ground squirrel
  
Snake
arrow snake
Goat
Funny goat





undefined

Welcome to Tajikistan :)



If you are interested in visiting Shahristan and trekking in Tajikistan Mountain range then you can contact Paramount Journey - experts in trekking in Fann mountains and Zerafshan valley.



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-10 of 10
sharperblue

sharperblue - Jun 13, 2013 12:29 pm - Voted 9/10

Wow

What a beautiful, peaceful place; it looks so restful and unspoilt; Thanks for posting this!

FIRE

FIRE - Jun 17, 2013 7:54 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow

Thanks for vetoing! Indeed, it is a beautiful place.

johnm

johnm - Jun 13, 2013 3:40 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks for sharing

your beautiful corner of the world. Summitpost benefits from sharing places less traveled by westerners.

FIRE

FIRE - Jun 17, 2013 7:58 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks for sharing

Appreciated John. this world seems too small for us/people to live in peace ... but there is much more too explore

awiseclimber

awiseclimber - Jun 14, 2013 5:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Beautiful Documentation

Thank you for sharing your experience. It's such a beautiful land and is now on my list ;)

It's great to expose people to less-traveled lands. There's great inspiration to find everywhere.

FIRE

FIRE - Jun 17, 2013 8:04 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Beautiful Documentation

Thanks for viewing! agree you, the less explored place attracts more and more

hoeslaken

hoeslaken - Jun 15, 2013 1:44 pm - Hasn't voted

more trekking in Tajikistan

For those interested in doing more treks in other parts of Tajikistan check the blog site www.trekkinginthepamirs.com. There's information about trekking in the Fann Mountains, Pamirs and the Wakhan Corridor.

FIRE

FIRE - Jun 17, 2013 8:06 am - Hasn't voted

Re: more trekking in Tajikistan

thanks for sharing your experience. your blog is in my bookmark already. Let me know if you are around :)

dadndave

dadndave - Jun 16, 2013 9:24 pm - Voted 9/10

Wow.

The place looks nothing like I expected. I thought it would be a much drier area.

FIRE

FIRE - Jun 17, 2013 8:21 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Wow.

More surprise to come :) Tajikistan is among top 10 countries with largest reserve of fresh water in the world. However, only 50% of its population have access to the fresh water. Paradox huh?

Viewing: 1-10 of 10