Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.12270°N / 12.66650°E
Additional Information Elevation: 10951 ft / 3338 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The Hohe Riffl is a very nice firnmountain that is situated between the
Oberer Ödenwinkelscharte (3228m) und the Riffltor (3111m).

From the summit you have a great view at the Glocknergroup and the Grossglockner. You can also see the summits of the Grossvenediger and the Gr. Wiesbachhorn and the very nice lakes of Kaprun (Weisssee, Tauernmoossee, Stausee Mooserboden und Wasserfallboden).

It was First climbed by K.Hofmann, J.studl , Th. Groder and J. Schnell at
15/09/1869.
You can also traverse to the Totenkopf (3151m) along a narrow snow ridge. this was first done by R. Gerin and O. Pitschmann at 17/07/1911.

Getting There


The best village where you can stay is Heiligenblut.

Website of Heiligenblut

From there you have to go to the Franz-Jozefshöhe along the Grossglockner hochalpenstrasse. To ride along this road you have to pay toll. For 30 days for a car 35 Euro.
At the Franz-Jozefshöhe you can park your car for free at the many parking accomodations.
From there you take the "Gamsgrubenweg" and you have to go cross the wasserfallwinkel glacier to the Oberwalderhütte 2972m.

At the Oberwalderhütte you have to cross the oberste Pasterzeboden and the Rifflwinkel Glacier till you get to the Oberer Ödenwinkelscharte (3228m). From the scharte climb up the snowridge to the summit.

Routes


South - route: go to the Oberer Ödenwinkelscharte (3228m).
From the scharte climb up the snowridge to the summit.
30 min climb from scharte, 113 Hm, this is the normal route.

North - route: The north wall is 350 m high, it is a "Firn" wall with a steepness of 45° - 60°.

a.) from Oberwalderhütte (2972m) you go to the Obere ödenwinkelscharte(3228m). There you take the normal route to the summit of the Hohe Riffl (3338m). Than you can descend over the north-west ridge until you get to the Rifflsatell (3170m).
This point lays in frot of the Totenkopt (3151m). Then you have to descent to the Obere Rifflglacier (Totenlöcher). From this point you can take the north route to the summit.

b.) Vom Kapruner Törl (2639m) you have to go direction south to the Oberen Rifflglacier. It is important that you get on this glacier and not on the Untere Rifflglacier becaus on this glacier there are a lot of cracks !!! From the Obere Rifflglacier (Totenlöcher) you can take the north route to the summit.
You can also start from Rudolshütte 2311 m (Kaprun) from here to Kapruner Törl (2639m) = 2 hours.
Or you can start from Bergrestaurant Mooserboden ( Gasthaus Heidnische kirche) to Kapruner Törl (2639m) = 3 hours.







Camping


At Heiligenblut ther are to campinggrounds: The nationalpark camping Grossglockner and the MöllFlusscamping.

Nationalpark Camping

Möllflusscamping

When To Climb


The best period to climb the mountain is from may - september.

Red Tape


You need no permit .



Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Dries Desmet

Dries Desmet - Aug 3, 2005 9:29 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Mathias,

thanks for coordinates!!

If you have more suggestions let me now !

Greetz,

Dries.

Mathias Zehring

Mathias Zehring - Aug 3, 2005 12:45 pm - Voted 9/10

Untitled Comment

Yes: you forgot the decimal points behind 47 and 12 !

Mathias Zehring

Mathias Zehring - Aug 2, 2005 4:09 pm - Voted 9/10

Untitled Comment

please insert the following position by editing the page:
47.12272 N
12.6665 E

Dries Desmet

Dries Desmet - Aug 3, 2005 9:29 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Mathias,

thanks for coordinates!!

If you have more suggestions let me now !

Greetz,

Dries.

Mathias Zehring

Mathias Zehring - Aug 3, 2005 12:45 pm - Voted 9/10

Untitled Comment

Yes: you forgot the decimal points behind 47 and 12 !

Viewing: 1-5 of 5


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Glockner GROUPMountains & Rocks