Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.43471°N / 121.95622°W
Additional Information County: King
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 1120 ft / 341 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Rainer sighting
Mount Rainer sighting. This will likely be gone in the nest year or two

Holder Knob is a popular hiking sub peak located in the Taylor Mountain Park. It is modest in elevation and the views have rapidly disappear from what they were 5 years ago. Still even with the lack of views this hike has been becoming increasing popular. What views there are is of the valley below and an occasional view of Mount Rainier to the south. As for the future of any view coming back, that will be determined by the King County Park and Recreation. One can easily do this hike in a couple of hours, and personally I would save this for the winter when bad weather is hitting the other mountains nearby. It may look a whole lot prettier in snow. 
Another view
One of the last remaining views on the trail 

Getting There

Taylor Mountain park trailhead is located off of 276th Ave. SE. which is 8 miles of Issaquah. The trailhead is literally just south of Highway 18 Interchange. There is a huge parking lot, though much of the lot is designed for horseback riders. 

Route

Holder Knob Map
Holder Knob Map

Total Distance: 3.7 miles
Total Elevation Gain: 730 feet

What will be described here is the Holder Ridge and Holder Knob Loop. Starting from the Taylor Mountain trailhead you will take the Holder Ridge trail up. The grade of the trail will alternate between gradual to moderate incline. A spur trail to the right will lead you to some of the best and only views on the hike. One can see Mount Rainier though only faintly trough the tree. There is also a picnic area at that location as well. From there continue to hike up and over Holder Ridge. From there you go down to another junction which is the trail to the final summit of Holder Knob. The trail will go around the summit dome before yet another trail will take you to another picnic area. One would assume this is the summit, though I obsessively bashed bushes on the summit area to get every high point in the immediate area. The views have now filled in here but there is yet another awesome picnic table up here. On the way down from the side trail you make a right. This will lead in several hundred feet to a dirt road. Take that gravel road down to another larger gravel and make a right on it. From there take that road all the way back to the Taylor Mountain Trailhead. (It should be noted: if you are attempting Taylor Mountain you should not attempt by this route because it crosses watershed property which is illegal)  

BearQueen posing with a horse
Many horses use the trails at Taylor Mountain Park

Red Tape

Parking is available dawn to dusk.

When to Climb

Mini view
Best view you will get in summer

This is year round hike. I would strongly prefer to do this in winter because there are far more scenic mountains to do close-by in summer. 

Camping

There is no camping allowed at the Taylor Mountain Park.

External Links