Horsetail Falls / East Face Couloir Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
GlennD

GlennD - Dec 29, 2014 8:28 am Date Climbed: Oct 26, 2013

Pyramid  Sucess!

Fun route, got a little off route on the descent to the trail.

WayneFry

WayneFry - Dec 19, 2012 7:08 pm Date Climbed: Dec 8, 2012

East Face Variation  Sucess!

Winter approach from Horsetail falls with a group of nine from SMG. Started the actual East face climb from the ledges above Pyramid lake. Climbed a short gully leading to the main face then continued up a steep (sustained) section to the summit. Turned out to be an ideal climbing day for crampons and ice axe. Descent route was down Rocky Creek canyon.

vuoriburst - Sep 17, 2010 4:58 pm Date Climbed: Sep 3, 2010

ROCK HOP  Sucess!

We started at Echo Lakes and summited Pyramid Peak via Ropi Lake and the East Face Couloir. Anyone attempting this couloir immediately above and west of Ropi Lake should know that there is nothing even remotely like a trail, infact there's very little sand. It's boulder hoping for 2,000 vertical feet up and down. Not terribly difficult but a stumble would be very painful, the route is steep, and it's tedious (2 hrs both up and down). I'd even say the route is more class 3 with a class 4 move here and there in the middle of the couloir. Amazing view from on top though!

bbense

bbense - Oct 2, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: Brutal in summer

The line on the topo map is not the route I'm trying to describe on this page. The route I climbed joins up with the Rocky Canyon trail just north of the small lake on the ridge. See the google map I posted.


edevart

edevart - Aug 4, 2008 10:58 am Date Climbed: Aug 3, 2008

Sea of Granite  Sucess!

Camped on a shelf above Pyramid Lake. Great views of Freel, Ralston, Tallac, Dick/Jacks, and parts of Lake Tahoe. Direct route straight up the weakness in the east face. Lots of boulder hopping, but straightforward.

requiem

requiem - Jan 23, 2008 3:47 am Date Climbed: Jul 29, 2006

Brutal in summer  Sucess!

one of 4 out of 7 in our group who started out that made it to the summit. the last 500 ft of scramble up to the summit was sketchy; a lot of tallus on scree just waiting to glissade down with you as soon as you stand on it. really hard on the knees on the way down without trekking poles, at least for me...

CBoldt1010

CBoldt1010 - May 9, 2007 6:52 pm Date Climbed: Nov 12, 2005

Fun!  Sucess!

Glisading down was awesome! Not as fun as Shasta though.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Horsetail Falls / East Face Couloir' main page