Howard Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
RMNPGuide

RMNPGuide - Aug 17, 2021 9:18 pm Date Climbed: Aug 14, 2021

Cirrus and Howard via LOTC  Sucess!

The climb was a straightforward boulder/rock hop until we reached the head wall of the gorge. After ascending a steep scree field we reached the crux of this route. The rock was very unstable and combined with the steepness of the route it was by far the most difficult class 3 I have ascended. We also witnessed multiple rocks falling down the gorge including a large boulder more than 5 feet across. After reaching the ridge, the climb was beautiful and enjoyable. I could see this being a good route on stable snow with proper equipment, but would not use this route again once it has melted out.

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - Oct 1, 2018 1:56 pm Date Climbed: Sep 30, 2018

Lake of the Clouds Loop  Sucess!

With Rachael and Scot, from Cirrus. 4 peak loop above Lake of the Clouds on a windy day. Descended via the southeast towards and past Pinnacle Pool and down Lost Creek back to the Grand Ditch.

SarahThompson

SarahThompson - Sep 21, 2014 12:58 pm Date Climbed: Sep 21, 2014

North & South Ridges  Sucess!

Years and years after it made my to do list, I finally payed my 1st visit to the Never Summer Range. Did a long, enjoyable loop on a perfect weather day over "Never Summer Peak", Lead Mountain, Hart Ridge, Mount Cirrus, Howard Mountain, Mount Cumulus, Mount Nimbus & Red Mountain.

awhite28

awhite28 - Jul 19, 2014 9:03 pm Date Climbed: Aug 3, 2004

Howard  Sucess!

5-day

wmolland

wmolland - Sep 6, 2011 1:08 pm Date Climbed: Aug 18, 2011

From LOTC along with Cirrus  Sucess!

A long boulder hop starting below Lake of the Clouds. The route turns to a little 3rd class below the saddle, but nothing too difficult. A windy, but cloudless, day in the Never Summers!

Brian Kalet

Brian Kalet - Aug 29, 2011 11:58 am Date Climbed: Aug 28, 2011

6 Peaks  Sucess!

Daytripped with "Never Summer Peak, Lead Mountain, Hart Ridge, Mount Cirrus & Mount Cumulus.

tomlauren

tomlauren - Sep 27, 2009 11:14 am Date Climbed: Jul 12, 2009

Howard - Cirrus -Lead - Never Summer  Sucess!

From camp in Hitchens Gulch, climbed the unnamed peak east of Howard Mtn, Howard Mtn, Mt Cirrus, Lead Mtn, and 'Never Summer Pk' with my friend Keith. The climb from Lake of the Coulds to the unnamed peak east of Howard was snow-free even though it was north-facing and the upper Hitchens Gulch still had snow. The traverse from the unnamed peak to Howard Mtn was class 2/3.

boisedoc

boisedoc - Dec 19, 2006 5:38 am Date Climbed: Jul 28, 1989

nice hike  Sucess!

not many people venture up there. Nice lake along the way

Mountain Jim

Mountain Jim - May 7, 2006 1:11 am Date Climbed: Jun 5, 1994

From Lake of the Clouds  Sucess!

Like most of the Never Summer Peaks climb them when there's lots of snow.

NanitaD

NanitaD - Feb 18, 2006 9:20 pm Date Climbed: Jun 4, 1994

NanitaD  Sucess!

We hiked up Hitchen's Gultch and had to post hole just below Lake of the Clouds. Because the snow in the saddle between Mt. Howard and Mt. Cirus was deep we climbed rotten skree on the south side. I said a four letter word when I realized we had only reached the false summit, but the true summit was worth the effort. We traversed from there to Mt. Cirus.

smudge

smudge - Sep 19, 2005 2:35 pm

Route Climbed: from Cirrus Date Climbed: September 17, 2005  Sucess!

Nice summit. With Andy on a beautiful (but windy) fall day!

Andy

Andy - Sep 19, 2005 2:14 pm

Route Climbed: North Ridge Date Climbed: September 17, 2005  Sucess!

Climbed with smudge on our way from Lead to Cumulus.

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Return to 'Howard Mountain' main page