Howlock Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
SkiValdez

SkiValdez - Jul 26, 2018 3:51 pm Date Climbed: Jul 5, 2018

Tipsoo Peak & Howlock Mountain  Sucess!

Climbed Howlock as part of a Tipsoo/Howlock Double. Great views from the top and a fairly easy scramble from the PCT.

You can see our Vlog here: https://youtu.be/GYc3amh8ky8

https://www.strava.com/activities/1683363796

Don Nelsen

Don Nelsen - Oct 1, 2017 2:05 pm Date Climbed: Sep 27, 2017

Perfect day  Sucess!

Just a little snow here and there as I headed out from the Tipsoo Peak trail head. Followed that trail for a mile or so and then went cross country to the PCT. Left the PCT and headed up the draw to the pass south of the peak then headed for the pass between the two summits. Climbed the pinnacle with a level to sight across to the east summit where my GF was headed to provide scale. West summit is easily the highest - note in my photos the position of the horizon: Horizon is about 6k to 7k feet, about 40 miles distant and clearly above the east summit.

locke456

locke456 - Oct 23, 2013 10:37 pm Date Climbed: Oct 20, 2013

Tipsoo To Howlock = AWESOME  Sucess!

Came down from Tipsoo and took the PCT to the southwest saddle of Howlock. Ascended later in the day that I expected, so I only bagged the highest summit point and passed on the pinnacle. There was enough snow that I only really had to deal with dinner plates and pumice for the last 100-150 feet, which was nice.

My favorite hike, climb, and view from any mountain since I've moved to Klamath Falls, including McLoughlin. The sight of Thielsen lurking to the south is just awesome.

Troy B

Troy B - Jul 15, 2012 6:10 pm Date Climbed: Jul 13, 2012

Sawtooth Ridge  Sucess!

Climbed both the East and Middle summits of Howlock Mountain via the Sawtooth Ridge from East Thielsen (Holly's Ridge).

Paul McClellan

Paul McClellan - Sep 19, 2010 12:27 pm Date Climbed: Sep 2, 2010

West summit appears higher  Sucess!

Followed the well-documented Howlock Mountain Trail approach and scrambled up the East Peak. From there, the West Peak (pinnacle) seemed to loom over me, so hiked over to it and took the west-side traverse and climbed the north ridge. From the pinnacle I looked down on the East Peak, which appeared below the horizon. In spite of what the USGS map states, I think the West Peak (pinnacle) is higher. Thank you for excellent documentation for this route!

Holk

Holk - Jul 29, 2010 6:51 pm Date Climbed: Jul 24, 2010

Like A Greek Wedding:  Sucess!

The "Dinner Plates" up on this mountain sound much like that of Greek Wedding festivities, you know, when all the dancing and plate smashing occurs?

I traversed the West Face from the Sawtooth Ridge, then worked my way up one side of the Pinnacle and down the other to summit Howlock's true peak, then backtracked my way off the mountain to the PCT.

TR here: http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/642509/The-Holly-Sawtooth.html

calebEOC

calebEOC - Aug 3, 2008 9:50 pm Date Climbed: Aug 3, 2008

Great hike  Sucess!

Thoroughly enjoyed this one. Climbed east and middle summits, pinnacle was a doozy.

Dennis Poulin

Dennis Poulin - Mar 26, 2005 6:53 pm

Route Climbed: Howlock Mtn Trail Date Climbed: 21 September 2002  Sucess!

Long day climbed both the Pinacle and the East summit.

cjwhat

cjwhat - Sep 30, 2003 12:08 pm

Route Climbed: 8396 and 8324 Date Climbed: September 28, 2003  Sucess!

Brian you dog! I was going to post this one after I'd climbed it.



I took the Tipsoo Peak trail to the southernmost switchback, then did a short cross-country to the PCT and hiked it south to below the saddle. This is way shorter and less elev gain than the Howlock Mtn trail.



From the saddle I went to the south (right) shoulder of 8396 and ascended. My GPS, which doesn't provide exact elevations, registered 8,348' altitude. I descended the west (left) shoulder. The latter is definitely the better way of the two.



I looked at your gulley on the south side of pinnacle 8324 and didn't like it at all, so I traversed left (west) around the pinnacle and found a loose but doable route on the northwest side. Found a couple pieces of wood and some wire on the summit. Didn't have my GPS because "doable" means I left everything at the base of the pinnacle ... both hands are required constantly and bulk must be minimized to avoid knocking rocks loose, which I did anyway. They make a scary clatter as they tumble off.



Round trip from car at Tipsoo Peak TH 7 hours.



Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Sep 30, 2003 12:40 am

Route Climbed: Sawtooth Ridge Date Climbed: September 27, 2003  Sucess!

Not really an epic, but I'd call this one an ordeal. Took the Thielsen Creek trail to a point beneath Mt. Thielsen and then came back north along the PCT. My thinking was to attain the Sawtooth Ridge at an easy point and walk the ridge to the summit. Got up on the ridge easy enough cross country but then had to go up and down a few times to actually get to Howlock Mountain. It's possible just to go straight up from the point the Howlock Mountain Trail meets the PCT as what looks like cliffs on a map, really are just steep hikes.



Anyway, when I got close, I couldn't tell if the east summit or the pinnacle were higher. Map shows east is 72 feet higher so I headed there. Loose rock up top. From there, I walked the connecting ridge to the pinnacle and scrambled up to it's base. Walked around left until I found a gully and went up a bit, but it was very loose and scary so I backed off. I had already hit the higher summit anyway.



Scrambled back down to the saddle and scree skied down to the meadows. Ambled cross country til I hit the PCT and found the Howlock Mountain Trail out. Added a couple miles to the day by taking the Thielsen Creek approach. What made this such an ordeal? It was 95 degrees and I went about 18 miles. Didn't hydrate enough or eat enough and it was dark by the time I hiked out. Was on the trail and mountain for 9.5 hours. Ugh. But I had tried to find a way on Howlock from the east and failed a few weeks earlier so it was nice to bag this one.

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Howlock Mountain' main page